Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Nitrate Issues

I found out that my well water has nitrates of 40ppm....it's been this way for about a month. I know it wasn't this way over the winter here, because I regularly test my water with API Master Test Kit. I just started to be high when the farmers around here started to heavily fertilize the fields. I've been buying bottled water for the duration. I have even tried the experiment of well water in a gallon jug and up to 6 doses of Seachem Prime to see if it could improve it. All tests are still at 40ppm! I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on correcting my well water issues. We rent and live next to our landlords and have no control over the well water system. The filter that I have for my boys is the internal Fluval U1 and it only has a sponge in it for filtering. Is there any way of adding Seachem Purigen to my filter and will it help? I am delaying setting up my sorority in my other tank until I can create a fully safe place for fish to live in. The filter for my sorority will be the internal Fluval U2 and has sponges, carbon and another ceramic type filter media. (Carbon filter media will be replaced with either more sponges or Purigen(?) Thanks for any help!
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

While long term high nitrate can be hard on fish....40ppm isn't that bad...not great...but it could be worse and it might get worse as the farmers add ferts to the fields, rains, run off...etc.....

If the fish are acting okay-I wouldn't stress too much about it-but when adding any new fish be sure and do a slow acclimation to the chemistry if the water they come in is low in nitrate....some species are more sensitive than others...

You can add some fast growing stem plants. floating plants to help with some of the nitrate and if you have any weeping willow trees-take a cutting and place it in the tank to root-this can help-but if you have shrimp sometimes they will use it as an escape route....lol......even a bare rooted peace lily-roots placed in the top of the tank can help.

Get a large barrel and add your replacement water-add some aeration and some plants to help remove some of the nitrate for the water changes.

Make sure you shake, bang on the table and shake some more on the #2 nitrate reagent bottle-follow the directions to the "T" with the drops, shaking test tube between drops and reading results (I am sure you already know and do this) since the #2 reagent can settle causing skewed results....

All and all....in my opinion/experience...unless you have sensitive fish, growing fry....nitrate at 40ppm shouldn't cause too much of an issue.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #3 
Hopeseeker

I have some compacta....would anacharis narrow be a good floating plant? Planted Aquariums Central online says it can ba a floating plant. And I do like the look. And if it grows fast, some can go towards my sorority.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 
SlabSided

I have the same problem you do with my well water, except sometimes worse. Last time I checked it was between 40-80 ppm. Until I graduate to a planted tank, I've been cutting the water with 1/2 bottled spring water and also added the Purigen to my filter. I'm think the Purigen has made a difference - the nitrates stay around 5 ppm in my tank now.

But, like OFL said, he might be just fine with your water. I'm new to fish keeping so I tend to freak out a little about things.
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

By compacta-do you mean the dwarf sword plant...

Anacharis (Egeria densa) yes, it can be used as a floater or rooted, however, if its Elodea canadensis that is often confused with E. densa- too warm of water can cause problems for it-since its a cool water plant-hard to tell them apart.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #6 
Hopeseeker

This is the one that I like: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....geriananas.htm

And the compacta looks like this one: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....-stricta01.htm

Have to finish getting ready for work, otherwise, I would chat with you more about this.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Okay...hygrophila...great stem plant and the Anacharis is perfect too....

Work smart not hard...so glad I am retired.....lol....