Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 
Sivan

Is there a name for this type of coloring?

I just bought a new veiltail, the first fish since my Fabio died almost a year ago. He is very pretty and I thought him to be a bi-color with some cellophane along his tail. His body and part of his fins is a light goldfish orange and the ends of the fins are a creamy white.

However, I've noticed that in sunlight or when at the right angle, the white areas on his fins and some of his scales glow a neon purple. It looks like he is in ultra-violet light, with it glimmering like that. Is there a name for this? A highlight, perhaps? I can't really get it on camera yet but I am trying.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #2 
Ethan

Hmm......I would say pinnaple ,but he could possibly be a Marble :D

http://watershed3.tripod.com/types.html

Does he look like any of those?
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #3 
Sivan

He's not a marble. In terms of fish from that page, he's like the yellow one from the California Betta Society, only orange instead of yellow. I am more curious about the neon violet coloring he gets in different lights, if there is a name for that.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #4 
Ethan

haha well actually what you are seeing is his underskin so to speak ;) those colors are actually a layer under what you usally see.........

A true solid colored IBC quality betta does not change tremendously in different sorts of lighting........

I know what your talking about though.............it is probably a mix of a petstore betta & Creamsicle.

A creamsicle is a butterfly type with orange instead of yellow ;)
Though lol talking in genetic terms, orange & yellow are just a throw off bi-product of red.

Last edited by Ethan; 05-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 
Ethan

To tell if your betta is truely bred without mixes of other genes just buy a neon light and you can always tell ;)
Old 05-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #6 
Sivan

Haha. I'm not too interested in the breed quality, never have been with any animal. He's a pet store betta but I do love the idea of him being a creamsicle! Yummy.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #7 
Kitty Whiskers

My Female Betta Spectra (My Avatar) also gets that ultra violet coloring in certain light also. It does make those kinds of colored Bettas look pretty cool.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Whiskers View Post
My Female Betta Spectra (My Avatar) also gets that ultra violet coloring in certain light also. It does make those kinds of colored Bettas look pretty cool.
I had a female that same colour with the iridescent rainbow sheen. In another thread I asked what colour that sheen was and was told it's called "grizzle".
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #9 
Sheldon31

My new boy has the black light look too. Interesting because he actually looks ultra violet but getting that sorta colouring on a photo requires a seriously awesome camera but most digital cameras have a yellow film on the lenses to stop UV light from showing on pictures so the purple/blue colour is impossible to photograph (just a snippet of info I thought I didn't know). He's a lush colour Sivan and Creamsicle sounds so interesting compared to "just orange" :D
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #10 
Sivan

Thanks! I love the blacklight look too. And I'm definitely going to be calling him a creamsicle. I thought he looked like the inside of a Cadbury Cream Eggs, so he's just becoming more and more delicious as I talk about him.