Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 
Kasablanca

Pregnant Molly Fish???

I have had 2 silver mollies and 1 black molly for about 3 months now and I kept noticing that my 2 silver mollies looked slightly bigger and then back to normal. I think my two silver ones are females after doing research and I am thinking they were pregnant. Now one of them is bigger than the other and I want to save the babies if she is pregnant. Can you tell me if she is pregnant?

First picture: Here are all 3 mollies.
Second Picture: Prego? Molly
Third Picture: Prego? Molly and the 'father'
Attached Images

Kasablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

She certainly looks prego to me :D You can even turn out the light and use a flashlight on her to see if there is any eggs/movement inside of her :)
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 
Kasablanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
She certainly looks prego to me :D You can even turn out the light and use a flashlight on her to see if there is any eggs/movement inside of her :)
I will try that tonight, thanks!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #4 
MollyJean

Yep, 2 females and the black one's a male. I'm like.. 90% sure she's pregnant. You want to set up a separate 5-10 gallon tank for her and the babies. Make sure the filter (if you use one)is very low flow or well baffled/covered. If you're not, you need to be ready to do some very careful water changes twice a week in a 5 gallon. Give them lots of things to hide in and under, live plants work great, but whatever you have handy. It needs to be heated, as well. 78-80 degrees. They eat the same food as the adults, just crushed up. You can give them brine shrimp, too. They're pretty easy to take care of, really. Once they're born (mollies have babies, not eggs) you can put the mother back in the main tank.

Last edited by MollyJean; 05-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #5 
Kasablanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Yep, 2 females and the black one's a male. I'm like.. 90% sure she's pregnant. You want to set up a separate 5-10 gallon tank for her and the babies. Make sure the filter (if you use one)is very low flow or well baffled/covered. If you're not, you need to be ready to do some very careful water changes twice a week in a 5 gallon. Give them lots of things to hide in and under, live plants work great, but whatever you have handy. It needs to be heated, as well. 78-80 degrees. They eat the same food as the adults, just crushed up. You can give them brine shrimp, too. They're pretty easy to take care of, really. Once they're born (mollies have babies, not eggs) you can put the mother back in the main tank.

Thank you so much! I'm going out tomorrow after work to get all of this. I read online that they get a dark spot before they have the babies, not sure if this is true but either way she hasn't shown it yet so I should be safe for another 12 hours.
I will keep everyone updated on whats going on :) My friend already is requesting a baby when he/she is old enough to live in a community tank.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #6 
Kasablanca

Well I went this morning on my break to get a breeding box so if she had the babies while I was at work they would be safe. Now that I am home she seems skinnier and there is no babies in there. I checked in the tank too but the box is built so that the babies will stay in there. Its the standard 2 in 1 breeder/fry keeper box.
I'm hoping she is okay. I'll post pics later tonight as I am going to the LPS to help my friend pick up a tank and supplies.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #7 
MollyJean

She's fine. They swell up a lot early on, then slim down. You'll see the black spot in the back when she's almost ready to pop. It'll look like a tadpole in her belly, just a bunch of black inside her (makes it easier to see because she's white)

I'll give you a picture of Steel, my daughter's white girl, who is about 4-5 days away from giving birth. Just have to go take one :)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 
Kasablanca

OKay that makes me feel better, I was so worried tonight. She did look not as slim as earlier once she was back with her tank mates.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #9 
MollyJean

Alright, just took this, been dealing with other fish.

This is Steel. I expect babies before next weekend. See the black spot near the back of her body? That's what you're looking for, it'll start out about half that size when you're able to see it at first, then double, and triple, then she has the babies. Of course it's harder to see on some fish, and if the mother and father are both white, you'll see it but not til it's larger then this one.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #10 
Kasablanca

Okay I looked this morning and she has a small spot. How long do you think it will be till she has the babies? I dont want to leave her in the breeding box all the time just in case she gets stressed out.