Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #1 
Cattitude

Rebuilding a sorority

Last night during the night my filter intake literally fell apart and 5 fish were sucked in; four were killed and the fifth was seriously injured (no fins left but pectorals). There are now only 2 sisters left in the tank.

I would like to introduce new fish ASAP, as I know a sorority of 2 won't last long. How do I go about introducing the new fish?

BTW I have reassembled the intake using plumber's tape at the joints, and I covered it with pantyhose so there shouldn't be more accidents.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #2 
Shadyr

I don't have a good answer, but that is terrible!

Good luck!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 
ZackyBear

What you do is seperate all of the girls and reorganize your tank, then reintroduce them one at a time.

Make sure to keep a close eye on them, as they will fight. However if the damage becomes dangerous to the fish you have to reintroduce them (after redoing the tank again), putting the most aggressive female in LAST.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #4 
Cattitude

I went to the pet shop but they only had one female, who I bought. This leaves me with one wounded (who isn't doing very well, starting to lie on her side and float towards the surface now) and three healthy.

I bought three large coloured plants and added them to the tank, then added the new female. She seems to be the bossy type, she's been chasing everyone she meets (including cories) but nobody is getting bitten so far.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Until the injured gals are fully healed, I would keep all the ladies seperate. Injured fish will simply present a target for the other girls to assert their dominance.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Until the injured gals are fully healed, I would keep all the ladies seperate. Injured fish will simply present a target for the other girls to assert their dominance.
Unfortunately all of the injured girls have passed away, including the one who had survived this morning. So I'm now down to three healthy girls (except for a couple of fin rips). I'm watching them carefully and they seem to have a pretty clear cut pecking order established. The new one is the alpha. She's settled in and not chasing the others very often.

I know three isn't enough for a sorority in the long term, so I'm going to try to get more girls as soon as I can find a pet shop that has them in stock. It seems everyone is sold out now. Hopefully I can get more by the weekend.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #7 
EvilVOG

The big thing for you right now is heal the injured girls before adding more. New girls will likely gang up on one or both if they're sick or injured.

Once you get that taken care of, I have some females that aren't really breeding quality, but are fairly nice fish that i was looking to try and sell for a sorority. I am However on the opposite side of the river so shipping can be really expensive.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
The big thing for you right now is heal the injured girls before adding more. New girls will likely gang up on one or both if they're sick or injured.

Once you get that taken care of, I have some females that aren't really breeding quality, but are fairly nice fish that i was looking to try and sell for a sorority. I am However on the opposite side of the river so shipping can be really expensive.
Thanks for the offer! :) All my injured girls have died now. I considered ordering some females from a breeder in Canada who sold me two of my males, but again there is the shipping cost. I can't justify spending $40 to ship 4 females that I could buy in a LPS for about $3 each. Though, I know girls from a breeder would be very nice!

I'm off to a pet store tomorrow, after calling them tonight to confirm they have 3 females available. It's a long trip on the bus, but I only have 3 girls left (bought one today) and I don't think that will work out long before 2 gang up on the third.