Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Ghost Shrimp Questions

A few days before, I told you people that I was going to buy Ghost Shrimp as Tankmates for Lebron. And today, I did. They are still Acclimating, and are going into a Hospital Tank. One of them apparently is Pregnant. I can see Green Egg-Like Circles near her Spinnerets. It's actually on her belly. How long should I keep them in QT? My dad says that if they are kept in a Very Small Tank,( Using a Small Squarish Gladware ) they would die. And what about Water Changes? Do you have any Idea of how I'm supposed to do this in the QT? They're too small... And Cute...
I couldn't buy another tank because Space is Limited.
I bought 4 of them. It looks like there are 2 boys and 2 girls. I just judged it by the size of their more Translucent belly. I don't know what I'll do meanwhile. I need to know how long they need to be in the QT Tank.
Do they even need to be Quarantined? I mean, what Diseases would actually be transmitted from them to my Betta? I just want all 5 of them healthy and possibly safe. I also have another question about this.
If my Betta eats all his food, how do I feed the Shrimp? I know they are Scavengers, and eat all the Food that they can find, but I don't want them to starve just because of not putting too much food.
Any Suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated. I just want the Best for all 5 of them. Even if they are all under 5 inches.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

It's not exactly the same, but I have Red Cherry Shrimp in one of my 5 gallon tanks with a betta. I expected some casualties but I believe, so far, most have survived.

They eat dead plant leaves (I guess the Anacharis is good for something!). I also occasionally supplement with a few tropical fish food flakes. My betta doesn't care for the flakes but the little piggy can't help but try them, then he spits them out. The shrimps on the other hand clean up the flakes!
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

My Betta eats EVERYTHING that I give it. He's a little Piggy. ;)
I'll probably have to buy Sinking Foods. Or use my Extra Goldfish Crisps.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #4 
sparkyjoe

Oh, I forgot that about once a month I thaw some frozen brine shrimp and treat my kids. Both fish and shrimps also enjoy the little crustaceans.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
A few days before, I told you people that I was going to buy Ghost Shrimp as Tankmates for Lebron. And today, I did. They are still Acclimating, and are going into a Hospital Tank. One of them apparently is Pregnant. I can see Green Egg-Like Circles near her Spinnerets. It's actually on her belly. How long should I keep them in QT? My dad says that if they are kept in a Very Small Tank,( Using a Small Squarish Gladware ) they would die. And what about Water Changes? Do you have any Idea of how I'm supposed to do this in the QT? They're too small... And Cute...
How small is this tank? If it's around a gallon, don't worry. A small change every day (10-20%) will be more than sufficient. 50% a week is fine if you can't do it daily. They don't create a lot of waste. However, to give them confidence and keep them happy, throw in some java moss or something. :)
I couldn't buy another tank because Space is Limited.
I bought 4 of them. It looks like there are 2 boys and 2 girls. I just judged it by the size of their more Translucent belly. I don't know what I'll do meanwhile. I need to know how long they need to be in the QT Tank.
Do they even need to be Quarantined? I mean, what Diseases would actually be transmitted from them to my Betta?
It is always a good idea to quarantine. They could be carrying a disease that won't effect them, but will harm any fish they are in contact with. :) I'd keep them in for at least a week, but 2 is always safer.
I just want all 5 of them healthy and possibly safe. I also have another question about this.
I thought you only bought 4. O.o
If my Betta eats all his food, how do I feed the Shrimp? I know they are Scavengers, and eat all the Food that they can find, but I don't want them to starve just because of not putting too much food.
Get some shrimp pellets or cory pellets for them. I use Nutrafin Sinking pellets for all my bottom feeders. You betta may go for the pellets at first, but feeding after lights out should reduce this.
Any Suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated. I just want the Best for all 5 of them. Even if they are all under 5 inches.
Size has nothing to do with value. :)
Hope this helps! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #6 
EvilVOG

had a bunch of GS at one point, most went into the big planted tank. Pretty much the bettas killed them for sport, but in the big tank a few lasted long enough that the fish don't bother them any more. i've never fed them anything special. mostly they eat whatever the fish do. Pellets, flakes, microworms, ect.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Okay, thanks for answering. Oh, and Bombalurina , when I meant 5 I mean the Ghost Shrimp including my Betta.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

make sure there are places for them to hide, and once they are aclimated, just dump 'em in! I only had one casualty this way, but there need to be LOTS of places to hide, like every few inches there is something to go behind
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote