Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #1 
Gen2387

Bloody fin

Something happened to my Winchester. I woke up this morning and when I turned on his tank light there was a small part (about 5mm by 2mm) missing from his tail and it was bright red which i'm sure is blood. He was do for his water change today so now he's in clean water but everything is completely safe in the tank, don't know how he did it. Apart from clean waterm is there anbything else to do? It's still red but I can't get a god picture of the tail...
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Is there anything in his tank that he could have gotten caught on? At all? :/
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 
Ethan

He may of bitten it off, this is common in bettas.........I would suggest using the info here ;)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5701580_add-...-aquarium.html

Even though it is not dropsy it is a trustworthy treatment ;)

And as for if the measurments are correct I don't know, =) people suggest different amounts per gallon.

Btw can you fill this out & try to get a pic? It will help ;)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #4 
Basement Bettas

And the water parameters are????

Ammonia?

nitrate?

nitrite?

pH?

gH?

kH?

Blown fins are something going wrong.. usually attribituted to water conditions stressing the fish and leaving them open to infections and bacteria. Fish in grow outs fight and rip fins.. but they never have the red edges. When moved to isolation they heal quickly. The red is bacteria.. unless water conditions improve and the bacteria delt with the fins will continue to rot.. and the body also succumbs to the invasion and you lose the fish.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 
Gen2387

Water parameters are all fine, I check them regularly. He's in a 2gallon, heated, filtered. All the plants are silk and there's no plastic sticking out that he could rip his fins on. The water is always clean and warm... He probably bit of a bit... at least that's what i'm thinking. Still trying to get a picture but he moves too much. He's a double tail and it's at a place where he has to flare to see it and he,s not the kind of fish who flares a lot so I can't get a good picture. It doesn't seem to bother him. he acts perfectly normal, eats like a pig, not bloated... I hope it's fin biting and not something worse.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote