Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Oh, forgot about doves! They are gentler, I've noticed.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

I love pigeons! I didn't realise you could get indoor varieties. Tell me lots. :)

Also, how do you prevent little birdie messes all over the place, regardless of what bird you have?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

If you have a good sized cage for the type of bird, have the floor (avoid putting on CARPET) covered in newspaper around the OUTSIDE of the cage. Trust me. Some birds are clean freaks and poop OUTSIDE their cages Not sure on the birds when they are being handled. Most tend to stick their bums over the edge of something to poop -.-

You will find most stores sell pigeons unless it is banned, or they just do no have a supplier.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Rat lady isn't used to animal messes? :D
You can buy cages with trays around them that try to prevent seeds from spilling everywhere. Some people potty train birds... my friends canary was potty trained to go in his cage believe it or not. He was cool, he'd fly around the room and come say hi to her :s But it doesn't work out for a lot of people. Like potty training rats I guess?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sorry editing time ran out and I had some more info. Dx
They're sweet little guys. Get along with everyone. Their coos are really soothing in my opinion.
Here's a video of a ringneck dove tolerating a little kid. :[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67PhNTc4a64&feature=related]Just one of the many reason Doves make awesome pets. - YouTube[/ame]

Diamond doves are pretty easy to find in pet stores:

They have solid white ones too. Otherwise you could try and find a bird auction. Livestock auctions will usually sell pigeons in at least pairs, but lot's of people sell singles of fancy breeds as well. Now I shall spam you with some "pigeon variety" photos. You want it, pigeons have it. I'm a huge fan of them in case you didn't know. :3 SOMEDAY I will have a huge flock. Someday.
http://www.pakhomers.com/wp-content/...a-schietti.jpg
http://www.gypsyhavenmorgans.com/ima...26.2008.03.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_chequer).jpg
http://www.unitedswallowclub.com/Zwo.../Red-Tiger.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rY7HiV-yKz...l+Pigeon+1.jpg
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

Rat lady is used to messes, but only in the cage or on holding towels. Not my carpet or furniture. :p

They are really sweet! So now it's a choice between a cockatiel and a dove (or pair). :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #17 
lvandert

Unfortunately with my bird, flying where she pleases, she also poos where she pleases. (lol I just realized I said poo) With cockatiel its pretty easy to clean up. Wet or dry just a wet paper towel. For bad spots (spots they sit in normally there for poops there a lot) I put an old hanker-chief there. Although I do go on poop patrol all the time wiping up the misc missed ones. TV's will be a big attractant. Their high and warm, ceiling fans are just trees with nice flat branches and curtain hangers are another big one.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #18 
Twilight Storm

I kind of have a ring neck dove, Her name is birdiebird... She actually belongs to my sister but she ploans on taking her soon now that they finally have their own place so I don't really count her as mine anymore.

I have to admit they are sweet and they don't bite at ALL. But ring necks are big time poopers.... 99% of the time its like a pellet and easy to clean up but ring necks go frequently.....

You can KIND OF train your bird where it's ok to "go" but it takes a lot of patience. When a bird is ready to go they lift up their tail. (You will get used to seeing the warning signs eventually.) If you are holding them in front of you if you push their tail down you can put it on hold long enough to place the bird back on their cage or a stand and when they get there they should do their business. If you reward them with praise while they are going then give them a good treat they like they do eventually start going where they should if they can get there. Some types of birds are much better at training this way then others though. The dove I never could but the larger parrots do pretty good at it. It's pretty rare when they have an accident now. I have no experience training a cockatiel this way, and my budgie is too paranoid to train this way.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

-gasp- the brown and white one is gorgeous <3

Always depends on the personality of the bird, to "potty train" of course. Just like other critters like guineas or ferrets.