Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #1 
FateError

Couple of questions

So I've had my betta for nearly 2 weeks now. He seems healthy. Swimming around a lot, I've only seem him stay at the bottom sometimes but I think he's resting? He always come up to the top when I come near the tank. But I have a few questions. I had to do a 100% water change last week because I finally bought gravel and live plants for him. I know I'm not suppose to do a 100% water change? Like do 50%. I have a 3 gal tank with no heater or filter. Plan on getting a heater soon. I might buy more live plants. How do I "trim" the plants. Specially the parts where it's just brown. Do I just cut it off? Lol. Also, since I can't do a 100% water change, is it just safe to just stick my hand in there and put in the live plants?
FateError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 
laoshun

well actually for a 3 gallon tank u CAN do a 100% water change as it is difficult to establish a cycle (can be done though). And with no filter it is more than recommended every once in a while. As for putting your hands in, it should be fine.

And for trimming plants, you can actually cut them right off. If they get too long u can cut them and put them somewhere else in your tank.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #3 
lelei

I have a 3 gal tank, but it has an airstone, and an undergravel filter, and I just added a Amazon Sword plant, and did a 75% water change, and yea, I had to put my hand in more than once to rearrange plants..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #4 
ZackyBear

Before you stick your hand in you should rinse them with some hot water if you wash dishes or use lotion.

That way it doesn't get into the water -w-
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #5 
lelei

Ok, thnks for that tip..uggh, didnt know..:(
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote