Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #1 
Foisair

What to use to make bones?

Originally I had a fake skull, driftwood and live plants in my 10 gallon. When my tank had been overrun with algae, I took the skull out and scrubbed the algae off with a toothbrush. Sadly, this also scrubbed off most of the paint. Now I have a big empty space in the front of my tank. I plan on getting another skull (not from WalMart this time). Somewhere I saw a tank where two skulls (or possibly the same one, just cut in two) were buried at angles. This looked much more natural and I loved it. So I shall bury my skull at a lovely angle.

Then I got to thinking how awesome (and morbid) it would be to get an entire skeleton shoulder, or even just a fake humerus so it looks like there's an entire body in there. Nice fake bones are pricy and cheaper Halloween decorations look like crap. I think I would be able to make a nice replica if I can figure out what materials to use. Not only that, but I would only have to make the bones I would see. I wouldn't have to get an entire body and chop it up. Yikes! Now I really sound morbid.

I've seen styrofoam covered in waterproof paint used to make a rock wall/backdrop. Could just about anything work if I can seal the entire thing somehow?

Thanks for helping me brainstorm!
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #2 
Ethan

I don't really know what you could use :p ,but I just wanted you to know there is special paint for boats that's (eco friendly) that you could paint (?) it with.
Healthy for the fish.............maybe you could sculpt wood pieces?
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #3 
Atena

I would love to sculpt my own decorations. When you find out how let me know please. :)
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

The guys who do DIY backgrounds should be able to tell you how to seal it. :)

You could also make a really cool styrofoam headstone. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #5 
Foisair

So after some research on the web, the best conclusion I could find was that basic acrilic paint sealed completely in aquarium sealent is best. From what I read, there really isn't any paint that's 100% safe.

Looking at my tank again last night, I don't think I have room for more than just a skull. That works out in the end though. I don't really have the time or $$ for a big craft project like that right now anyhow.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #6 
Sceven

I would say make the bones you want out of polymer clay and then seal it with aquarium sealer, then you get the exact look you want. Its fairly easy to work with, I make all kinds of stuff out of polymer clay, Sculpey and Fimo are the most common brands. And the 2 oz blocks are cheap.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote