Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #11 
bettalover2033

With this boy, I would say the only thing that bugs me most is the separation from the dorsal and caudal fin. It's like a tight divot in there and can be passed down. Also he does have a slight spoon head, but IMO its nothing to make a big fuss about. His anal fin could be wider, but I suggest not breeding him. Overall he is a nice fish, but had too many flaws that would take more time perfecting.

Also black females infertile? Not at all. That is how you get super blacks. All females are 'fertile' (meaning they produce eggs) when they reach the mature age. The eggs will be fertilized by the male for them to hatch. Or else they are infertile (meaning they won't batch) So in this case all females are 'infertile' since the eggs done hatch when they drop them.

Though I think the only meaning for fertile is that the eggs can hatch, but I'm under about that definition.

Also if you like blacks, I can get you some for much cheaper and they have much better form. They are also halfmoonplakats. I got 3 pairs of them and they are perfect to begin with. Youd really like them. Let me know if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntailed View Post
Ok well how is this guy? I know the anal fin is bad but over all what would you say? I read that the black females are infertile so what color would i have to breed him with to get black fry?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #12 
Luimeril

i always heard that melano females were infertile... not blacks. i'm not 100% on the difference, though.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #13 
Crowntailed

How is this betta? Anal looks a bit short but.... He does have a sister that comes with him.
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #14 
MoonShadow

The edges of his caudal are way too round. HMPKs just like HMS, should have clean sharp caudal edges.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #15 
Luimeril

what exactly are you looking for? maybe we can help you find what you're looking for, in a betta with good form? :3
Old 05-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #16 
Crowntailed

Well i realy wanted a white or yellow pair but they have been seeming harder to find so i am looking for any nice form betta with coloring i like ( i like most colors xD)

Edit: HMPK or CT
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #17 
Luimeril

it's gonna be pretty hard to find quality HMPKs or CTs from the US, it seems. :I the breeder i got my rosetail from usually has CTs up, but neither he, nor his wife, have had bettas up for a long while.... you may have to import, which can be a little more expensive, but will be worth it. :V
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #18 
KadenJames

That male doesn't have adequate branching to be a solid HMPK, as MoonShadow said his caudal is just too darn round. His anal is also a funky shape, it should come to more of a tip and be as long as the tips of his ventral fins. He also has slight spoonhead. Would not recommend for breeding. =/

Contact US breeders like Martinismommy and BasementBettas (email them, don't just look through stock, odds are they may have some available that haven't been listed yet) and see if they have some good HMPK. And, if all else fails, importing is a great way to get good stock. But it is expensive. Or you could just win my raffle.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #19 
Crowntailed

Already checked with Martinismommy... I am going to check with basementBettas now :D
Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #20 
bettalover2033

Actually it's not very hard to find that. I run into these all the time, but never thought to take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
it's gonna be pretty hard to find quality HMPKs or CTs from the US, it seems. :I the breeder i got my rosetail from usually has CTs up, but neither he, nor his wife, have had bettas up for a long while.... you may have to import, which can be a little more expensive, but will be worth it. :V
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote