Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #21 
youlovegnats

To the OP:

I have "mini" bettas. They're normal proportions, but they're stunted. I admittedly didn't change their water enough times a week when they were fry. The biggest is about 9 months old now and is only 1 inch. :/

EDIT:: Oh and I do not recommend that anyone try to stunt fry on purpose. Mine was an accident and they just happened to live. Most of the fry didn't make it. :c
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

I was about to say...

Say someone did make a ling of mini bettas, who the males only make it to 1.5 and females perhaps 1 inch. Now, people are going to put these cute minis in a bowl, which is very much what many people are against. If you had a betta the size of most neon tetras, someone is going to put a betta in a 0.25 gallon, or divide a 0.5 for two mainly because they are smaller, and they won't think a 5 gallon is needed for an itty bitty...

My little Minny, fits her name. Mini. She is SMALL. She's a stunted just over 1 inch gal, which is half the size of the other females.

I think it WOULD be possible, but considering if you look at most species of fish, take the guppy for instance, most make it to 1-1.5 inches. Someone gave their guppies a 100 gallon tank and many of them made it to 4-6 inches, and some have been recorded (and I have seen!) here of that huge size! But, the way people get small ones is stunting which can be very dangerous to pass deformities and such onto fry from that parent.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #23 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Now, people are going to put these cute minis in a bowl, which is very much what many people are against. If you had a betta the size of most neon tetras, someone is going to put a betta in a 0.25 gallon, or divide a 0.5 for two
Most people who I see buying bettas (even gups and tetras!) at petstores do this. -__- I try to correct them, but usually they don't listen. D:

But yes, as Sena said - fry that are stunted should not be bred for the reasons she stated. So in theory, yes you could produce small fish, but their genes would be so screwed up that they'd only produce crappy offspring (which no one with decent eyes of fish would buy - so there goes the market.).
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

I'd be afraid of buying tiny anything. Tiny horse, tiny dog, tiny fish. My Admiral didn't last because his immune system died on him, Rose was beaten to death since the others were 1-3 times bigger than she was

I'd be very scared to breed a stunted betta, mainly because how many of the fry will have crooked spines, chronic issues, and die? Say out of 200, only 1 survives... I'd hate that! I have 4 from a baby-eater CT that's bad enough for me LOL
Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #25 
jeffegg2

Cool

I'm not understanding why you think that stunting a fish does something to the genes? It sounds all environmental to me, cruel, but just the enviroment. The actual genetics of the fish should not have changed...

If you want to breed for small, that is different than stunting by not changing the water properly.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #26 
youlovegnats

Perhaps not the genes, but definitely the immune systems and physical appearance will both be affected. Most likely you'll end up with sickly fish.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Yes, more susceptible to diseases and parasites than the average betta, because stunting causes more internal problems. Plus the higher risk of a dead father/mother, which we all know well the risk of healthy fish dying after spawning! Breeding stunted fish, creates a higher chance of deformities.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #28 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I was about to say...

Say someone did make a ling of mini bettas, who the males only make it to 1.5 and females perhaps 1 inch. Now, people are going to put these cute minis in a bowl, which is very much what many people are against. If you had a betta the size of most neon tetras, someone is going to put a betta in a 0.25 gallon, or divide a 0.5 for two mainly because they are smaller, and they won't think a 5 gallon is needed for an itty bitty...

My little Minny, fits her name. Mini. She is SMALL. She's a stunted just over 1 inch gal, which is half the size of the other females.

I think it WOULD be possible, but considering if you look at most species of fish, take the guppy for instance, most make it to 1-1.5 inches. Someone gave their guppies a 100 gallon tank and many of them made it to 4-6 inches, and some have been recorded (and I have seen!) here of that huge size! But, the way people get small ones is stunting which can be very dangerous to pass deformities and such onto fry from that parent.
If that is true about little guppies, then NEVERMIND! Bettas are already mini fish in that case!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #29 
Curlyfatbottom

Making the fry grow slow don't have an effect negative effect on the fish.
Most fighter perfer a slow going fish
Stronger scale, last longer n can sizs up with a younger fish
I agree with smaller fish
People will put them in smaller tanks
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the op meant it as a hypothetical question.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote