Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #11 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
lol yeah. When I got called in it didn't even get the chance to be biased, but I've heard other people just state "I am openly biased against drug users and if they were found with drugs on them then their guilty." and they got out of it
bias is probably one of the easier ways to get out of jury duty health medical reasons aside. i dont think i'll be called but i have a reason to skip out. my brother was called but he got out of it. he's in uni and studying to be a doctor. jury duty would jeopardise his studies, especially since hes doing it in units of 3-4 months per topic pertaining to his education (standard course planning).

id hate to have to do jury duty myself as i still have 6 animals to take care of. from what i heard they isolate you in hotels and the only sunlight you see is on the way to your duty in the court house.

Last edited by nel3; 05-31-2012 at 10:05 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #12 
thekinetic

Tell them you're racist, or act super religious and say that judgement belongs soley to god. For them to go against your religion would be unconstitutional but could open the door for all kinds of having to follow through. So should they ever call on me I'm going tell them look if I'm going to waste my valuable time someone is going down for it.

Bombalurina it is easier to convince 12 idiots than one judge.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #13 
lvandert

thats federal service. And yeah that happens and it sucks! They were going to try to do that to my bf. Civil service is a week long. You're there from 9 am to 5 pm but you get a lunch break. You can have a computer but not your phone (which makes absolutely NO sense) and you sit in a room with about 100-200 other people waiting to get called onto a case. Once called onto a case you into a separate room with about 30 of your peers and from there they try to pick the 12 least biased people out of the 30. You interview in front of the judge and the person being judged, along with any lawyers etc etc. If your picked great then you sit there until its done or court gets adjourned for the day. If your not you back down to the main room and wait some more. They did let people go early and there was a number to call to see if you were required to go in the next day.

What was funny is the last day of service I ran into two people I knew, both were on trial that day. I went up to the lady and asked how many trials their were today and there were only two. lol I kinda giggled inside and then explained to her that I knew both of the people personally. I got sent home early that day.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What on earth?
How long would you have to go?
Just looked this up and in Ontario you can be forced to go for over 40 days.. o.o
-is ignorant about this-
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #15 
lvandert

yeah civil you are required to do a week long service (unless a case you get on runs longer) if you get federal service they take up 2-3 months of your time.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #16 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
thats federal service. And yeah that happens and it sucks! They were going to try to do that to my bf. Civil service is a week long. You're there from 9 am to 5 pm but you get a lunch break. You can have a computer but not your phone (which makes absolutely NO sense) and you sit in a room with about 100-200 other people waiting to get called onto a case. Once called onto a case you into a separate room with about 30 of your peers and from there they try to pick the 12 least biased people out of the 30. You interview in front of the judge and the person being judged, along with any lawyers etc etc. If your picked great then you sit there until its done or court gets adjourned for the day. If your not you back down to the main room and wait some more. They did let people go early and there was a number to call to see if you were required to go in the next day.

What was funny is the last day of service I ran into two people I knew, both were on trial that day. I went up to the lady and asked how many trials their were today and there were only two. lol I kinda giggled inside and then explained to her that I knew both of the people personally. I got sent home early that day.
that's archaic whet the federal level wants you to do. lol news travels faster my computer these days than phone so that does not make sese now. if they cut out internet acces then its possible. i really dont want to go for jury duty after reading that post .
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #17 
lvandert

if you can get civil duty, and its a week you really don't have things planned I've heard it's quite nice. I guess its a break from the normal routine. Even though they were going to screw my bf over he was looking forward to doing it. I just shook my head at that him lol
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #18 
registereduser

I served on a jury (drug dealer) and found it very interesting. However, now that I've done my duty, I think I should never be called again. Once is enough. It was interesting but I was a big ball of nervous anxiety the whole time and I did not enjoy it.

The state had no real evidence against this guy and we had to rule him not guilty. Then he was deported LOL
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #19 
lvandert

lol yeah I was nervous and I never even made it to a court room. I did make a few nice acquaintances that I would never have met otherwise.