Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 
littlegreen

Fin rot: am I treating it correctly?

Hello, everyone! I recently brought home a new betta with minor fin rot. I've put him in the 1 gallon I use for a hospital tank. I'm treating him with 1 tsp of aquarium salt and doing 100% water changes daily. Is there anything else I should be doing or anything I should be doing differently? After the fin rot clears up, how long should I wait before putting him into the divided 10 gallon where he'll be living from now on? I don't want to cause any harm to my other betta by introducing him too soon.Thanks!
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #2 
mpimezon

same situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreen View Post
Hello, everyone! I recently brought home a new betta with minor fin rot. I've put him in the 1 gallon I use for a hospital tank. I'm treating him with 1 tsp of aquarium salt and doing 100% water changes daily. Is there anything else I should be doing or anything I should be doing differently? After the fin rot clears up, how long should I wait before putting him into the divided 10 gallon where he'll be living from now on? I don't want to cause any harm to my other betta by introducing him too soon.Thanks!
I too am in the same situation but haven't started working on treatment part yet. I changed water day before yesterday and noticed fin rot yesterday. so I am wondering if I should change water as early as today... the reason being that frequent water changes may stress the fish out who is already fighting a disease. so, I am hoping to hear from somebody whether a 100% water change as frequently as once in two days, or once every day is advised? and I am also planning to add aquarium salt to the water and not start an antibiotic course yet.
mpimezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Do you know why he has fin rot? If it is because he has recently been in very poor conditions, and doesn't have a disease, then it is safe to keep him in with your other betta. If not, then keep him seperate. :)

I actually found that keeping my betta in a larger tank and only doing 25% changes daily worked better, since there was less stress for him. :) Whilst salt is all well and good, it isn't totally necessary. Warm, clean water will do the job just fine. Indian Almond Leaves or Stresscoat (or both) are also good. :)

Make sure you keep the water warm (I went for 82) during the healing process. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #4 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Do you know why he has fin rot? If it is because he has recently been in very poor conditions, and doesn't have a disease, then it is safe to keep him in with your other betta. If not, then keep him seperate. :)
It is NOT safe to put a fish in with others for several weeks. Many diseases do not present immediately. Even with isolation of 2 weeks and a UV on my barracks some imports still got funk turned loose on my fish. Never again for me. All fish not bred by me stay in individual containers. it is not fun treating close to 800 fish for anything. Run him in a tank by himself for several weeks, keep water clean and feed well. Changing homes is stressful on fish and it weakens them. It is easier to keep one in isolation a little too long than it is to get rid of disease in a tank.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 
blueray

Thanks for the advice everyone! My fish, Blue Ray, has fin rot too. I have more ideas for helping him. I did 4 100% water changes but I think this is stressful for him so I'm going back to partial changes.
blueray is offline   Reply With Quote