Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #1 
MaggieLynn

:( sick lil baby

Ok so on sunday I brought home a baby form petco. After losing half my sorority a while ago for really no reason (maybe age?) i havent gotten any new fish but saw a cute little one and had to have it. and wanted to rescue it. well took it home set it up in a 40 oz tank, small i know but he/she is tiny, well he/she wasnt eating the micro pellets so i bought hikari first bites and he/she went nuts eating plus got live plants because the guy at the lfs said the microorganisms on there would feed gillian. well that was working set everything up tuesday. yesterday still fine. today found gillian at the bottom of the tank wont move so im freaking out, never been good at the whole treating thing or id-ing things.

so...

Housing
What size is your tank? one gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degress F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari first bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? a tiny scoop a day (its from the zoomed treat wheel alil red scoop i usually give like not even 1/4 scoop just enough for like a quarter size cloud on top of the water

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% a day 100% weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50, 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
not sure what the parameters are of the water was brand new on tuesday and did a half change yesterday so it shouldnt be bad water, i follow the same method i use for the others and nothing like this has happened.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped fins but he/she has been like that on and off this whole time will swim then just clamp then fine, then clamp
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not exploring or active when i tap lightly on the tank no signs of fish. just sitting on the bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a half hour ago. i havent been in my room all day and he/she was fine about 12 hours ago when i got up
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? just some clean water in a shallow tank with stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? dont know
How old is your fish (approximately)? well he/she is a baby betta from petco i wanna saw around a month old there is alil bit of color showing but still very tiny

he/she is currently at the bottom of the tank tale end pointing up kinda curved. i do have epsom salt and AQ salt on hand also his/her gills are really red but they were like that on sunday when i brought him/her home
Attached Images

MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

Poor baby. He/she is soo thin, I see alot of the PetCo babies like that.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 
MaggieLynn

I know :( poor thing wouldnt eat micro pellets that came with the petco tank for the babys i had to get the first bites where is like powdere
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #4 
TheCheese909

I had a Baby Betta also. I didn't buy a tank for her/him because I had an empty 2.5, I was trying to buy the micro pellets but I accidentally bought the first bites (wasn't paying attention). She/he still ate it anyway, along with the LFA Small Fish pellets which she/he ate like 6 of and kept wanting more. Unfortunately she/he got stuck in a decoration while I wasn't home and drown :(

I hope your baby gets better, i know of alot of people who have had trouble keeping their baby Bettas alive, they just aren't meant to be sold at that age.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #5 
MaggieLynn

well the tank i bought is 5 cups but compared to gillian it was decent size but the heater went to like 85 in there so switched to a one gallon and everything was perfect. i did another water change of the qt tank and added epsom salt water at 1 1/2 tsp per gallon to see if that helps because judging by the way he/she is laying with tail floating up it makes me thing sbd or something along that lines, and my mother though i was nuts for buying 2 pounds of epsome salt and AQ salt.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #6 
TheCheese909

Is it able to get up for air okay? How is it swimming?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #7 
MaggieLynn

No swimming, just checked and looked like he/she was gasping. i lowered the water as low as it could possibly go. probably a cm of water. the lower water level kinda evens out the whole floating back end too but there is like no water in the tank, might float him/her in a diff tank so it will be easier
Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #8 
TheCheese909

In the bottom right picture it looks like its gills are red. What type of water conditioner do you use? It could be ammonia poisoning or something from bad water conditioner.

Can you get any clearer photos of the poor thing?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I'm sorry to say, but the factors: ammonia poisoning + baby betta: it is VERY critical right now. EVERY DAY cleaning wil be needed, and if you can, spread 2 cleaning through the day with an airline tube, or baster, leaving the betta in and replacing the water the same way to avoid disturbance.

The problem with baby bettas, is they come from wholesalers who wants quantity not quality for their buyers. The bettas immune systems get a shock from usually not being old enough, or not having the healthy immune system a 3 month old from a breeder, in the first place and it becomes a race for time for many of the babies, for survival.

From the pictures, I can see he/she looked like my Sarah and Suzi, who both later died. They were pathetically small (I think they probably were babies), they ended up stunted, survived fin rot but had columnaris, along with bad immune systems.

LOTS of water changes, is definitely needed. Epsom salt probably won't do much right now, just a lot of clean water, with conditioner!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #10 
MaggieLynn

Thanks Sena! He/she is still hanging in there. Im surprised petcos are even aloud to sell them. its cruel almost. it makes me want to buy all the babies just to save them and maybe adopt them out when they are older or keep them lol. its just a waiting game now i guess