Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #1 
SageMyster

AB Tail Biting

Okay, this is a silly question, I admit it! But I just purchased a HM off AquaBid, and I'm worried about potential tail biting. If he -does- tail bite, will his fins still grow back GLORIOUSLY the way they are, or more like Petco quality?

Thanks guys!

And for reference, here is his video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5nwmJo-GgqM
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #2 
Micho

Once the tail is gone it will grow back but not like it how was originally sometimes it might change color, but it'll never grow back to be the same.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #3 
SageMyster

Will it still be as full as it is now?

EDIT: What if it's just nipping?

Last edited by SageMyster; 05-25-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #4 
SageMyster

bump?
Old 05-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #5 
Enkil

I've had 3 tail biters. I'll tell you about my experiences with each one.

Hannibal
This notorious big combtail has (in the past) taken out part of his tail and his entire dorsal fin. The dorsal he took off all the way down to his back. With nicely warm water kept very very clean, everything has grown back. Better than when we bought him.

Odin
A black dragon HM male. This little guy has some sight issues. So if his turtle decoration is not placed just so after a water change, he rips at his tail. So far, I have had no trouble with it growing back just as lovely as before.

Egil
A red dragon HM. For some reason, this boy likes to take off most of his tail. I can't figure him out. He just recently took it out again. I'll have him on the road to healing up and regrowing, just to have him shred it again. What does regrow before he can bite again does look good though.

Now, Hannibal lives alone in a 3.5 gallon.
Odin, Egil, and their brother Leonidas share a divided 10 gal.
I have upped the water changes in the 10 gal to keep it very clean so Egil doesn't get any fin rot or infections. So, if your boy does tail bite, just remember to keep his water nicely warm and clean.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #6 
SageMyster

Do you agree with Miko that the tail will never be the same if he bites at it?

I have a tail biter, Harlot. He bites for no reason, but all the time. The rest are all happy and healthy. I'm just wondering if Versace's tail will grow back right since he's a show-fish, should he end up like Harlot.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

Small nips will grow back easily. A full tail destruction will probably never grow back to its full glory, but it won't look awful, either. On the plus side, his tail is white, so white/clear regrowth patches will be barely noticeable. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #8 
Enkil

I haven't had any issues with the new growth. Odin's tail looks just as lovely as it did before he had his tail biting incidents. The new growth he has now looks wonderful.
Hannibal's regrown tail and dorsal look better than they did before he tore at them.
When Egil has new growth, it looks just as beautiful and vibrant as the day he arrived.

So, no, I don't really agree. My experiences have all been good. Each fish is an individual and different though.
I suggest you be prepared for just incase. Have high protein foods available and stress coat. And patience. lol Patience is definitely a necessity.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #9 
SageMyster

All right, thank you all very much! I appreciate that you took the time to answer my questions. :)
Old 05-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #10 
Enkil

It isn't the best picture, but I've attached one of Hannibal from earlier this month. It shows his dorsal very well. It even has the pretty green iridescence it did before.
Attached Images