Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #1 
Lundinn

More questions

I decided to put my questions in one thread, though I'm sure I'll think of some later.

I tested the amount of ammonia in the tank this morning and it read 0, but I suppose that is because of the plants. I got a reading for a small amount of nitrite but no nitrate yet. Am I putting in enough fish food? How far through the cycle can I expect different readings?

The chlorine reading is lower than yesterday so I'm less worried about that.

The water in my tank is getting greener and murkier by the day and I'm a bit worried about this and I've now got the filter on full power. Is there anything I can do or should I just leave it?

Also something that occurred to me: In my area there is a lot of limestone in our water supply, could that effect any of the readings? The GH reading is really high.
Lundinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Not sure on the limestone.

Green and murky could be floating algae,and depending on the size of tank a siamese algae eater is small and does the job VERY well. I have one in my 20 gallon

How long has it been cycling so far? Eventually you should see a spike, just do normal weekly water changes to get the fish food out. Usually the fish food is used as if you were feeding fish - sometimes every other day. cleaning 1-2 times a week suffices depending how much you clean it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #3 
Lundinn

I thought as much, it only started when I added the java fern (the tank it came from was totally clear though). My tank is only 8 gallons so it's a bit too small for a Siamese algae eater, I was thinking about getting a nerite snail or two and some shrimp. That's another question: would I be able to add the Betta and the snails together or would it be better to wait for the Betta to settle in first?

I set it up on Monday, I realise that it will take a few weeks to complete but I think I'm just worried about getting everything right. Also I'm a bit confused about the time line, I've read through the guide several times but it's just not sinking in at the moment, I think it's the hot weather that's killing off my brain cells, lol. I'll do a water change tomorrow seeing as I'm not usually busy on Saturdays. Is it a 50% water change?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

snails would do it then

I tend to quarantine all fish for 2 weeks. I have never found snais carrying anything bad unless they were from ponds (I have the Great Pond Snail, which carries many MANY diseases and parasites) which then I don't add them x) I noticed adding the snails first is better because they become with the environment, rather than indaving his territory.

Yes, 50% water changes with gravel siphoning. It's 4-6 weeks, basically whenever the tests become stable, and ammonia remains 0.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #5 
Lundinn

That seems like a sensible idea. I was thinking about getting a kritter keeper for emegencies anyway, would the Betta be alright with just a heater and frequent water changes for the quarantine period?

How often do I test for the ammonia? I managed to pick up a kit on sale but I'm not sure how long it will last. Kits are so expensive.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Oh yeah :)

Is it a liquid kit? Mine's not brand spanking new, and it works. Strips do not work as well because there are SO many factors that distort the readings. I'd test 2-3 times a week, just watching the fluctuations.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #7 
Lundinn

Yeah its liquid, it's the only liquid test I can find, the others are strips. :( I might have to see if I can order from abroad.
Ok!

Thanks for your help! :D
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

No problem