Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #1 
turkeybetta

best tank

hi,
I'm new to this board and new some advice on tank size. I have a 1 gallon for my betta but I would like to upgrade to a larger size. I notice he's been staying at the top lately too and wonder if switching him to a larger tank would help. I thought about a 2.5 gallon. What do you all recommend? any help is appreciated!!
turkeybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #2 
Laki

Hi :)
It all depends on what you're looking for and what space you can accommodate. By default, for price and durability I love kritter keepers. I have one on my desk and I think it's about 2.5 g. It's perfect. It's a perfect rectangle shape which is great because bettas prefer longer to higher tanks. My other tank is higher than it is long, and I think it's 3g. However, both my boys have had their turn in there and they seem to really appreciate the space.

Do some shopping aorund, some thrift stores have some treasures. Pet stores and retailers like walmart carry different sizes and shapes for tanks. Just make sure you can put a heater in there and you're golden :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #3 
laoshun

well if u are planning to buy a tank, might as well get a 5 gallon, its not much more expensive. Because later on you will be like wow i need a bigger tank and the money u spent on the smaller tank seems like a waste (thats how i felt about my 2.5 anyways).
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

He is likely hanging at the top due to the fact that he needs oxygen and/or he is bored.. i suggest you get a 5 gallon filtered tank. the filter will put oxygen into the water so he will not need to be at the surface to breathe. also make sure the tank has gravel and hiding spots so he will not be bored. a 5 gallon gives him a fair amount of spacce and is easier for you. the smaller the tank, the easier it is for ammonia to build up and therefore more water changes are needed. i have a betta in a a10 gallon and she is a very active swimmer. but id never put a betta in anything less than a 5 gal. hope i helped :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #5 
Laki

Actually, filters adding oxygen in the water does nothing for betta. He will still breathe at the surface. Or, he should at least. He shouldn't be hanging around up there but he definitely should be "gulping" air at the surface as his main method.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

+1.

If I was in the US with all the cheap options you guys have, I would get one of those plain old ten gallon rectangle tanks you can get so cheaply, and add in my own choice of filter and heater.
Alternatively, I'd go for the Petco 6.6 gallon bookshelf. I have never seen a tank more perfectly shaped for a betta. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #7 
SarahandOscar

How about in Australia? my 5 boys are in their own 1 gallon (3.8L) and I'm noticing changes in their fins that I'm not happy about so have decided to upgrade them all what is the smallest you can successfully cycle and is it worth getting a filter or are 2 water changes a week going to be ok? I don't wanna waste any more money on bad choices. thanks
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #8 
turkeybetta

thank you all for helping me- i got a 2.5 gallon tank yesterday and my betta is doing better.
turkeybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahandOscar View Post
How about in Australia? my 5 boys are in their own 1 gallon (3.8L) and I'm noticing changes in their fins that I'm not happy about so have decided to upgrade them all what is the smallest you can successfully cycle and is it worth getting a filter or are 2 water changes a week going to be ok? I don't wanna waste any more money on bad choices. thanks
Tanks are expensive here so it isn't going to be easy to find a cheap one. Have a look on your local classifieds for second hand things. If you get a tank without a filter, but is big enough to cycle (20 litres) look into an air-driven sponge filter. They are cheap but very effective and great for bettas. You'd need a 25 watt heater for a 20 litre tank. The AquaOne heaters are great. :)

If you want to go with a new tank, then I highly recommend http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...D=4731&catID=2 this. Normally I'd say AquaOne, but the filters on this Blue Planet tank are much better for bettas. They have an adjustable flow. On it's more gentle setting, it's fine even for my HM with his massive tail. The tanks are also nice and wide, giving plenty of room to swim. It's a very smart-looking tank. :) If you have a Petbarn near you, they stock Blue Planet stuff. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 
Laki

Glad to hear!! Can you post pics? We love pic :)