Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Tank Suggestion

So, I'm going to Petsmart sometime this weekend, and I'm getting a heater and possibly a new tank (a 2-5 gallon one).

Now, since I'm new to bettas, I was wondering if the community here can help me :)

I'd like an actual tank this time, not a bowl. I've seen a few examples of interesting tanks, from 360 degrees ones to those that light up. However, I prefer quality over special effects.

Is there a particular tank and heater that I should definitely look into that Petsmart SHOULD have? I was going to hold off on getting a heater since I've gone 4 months without one, but my house is going to be A/C'd, and therefore it will be too cold for Buddha.

Any suggestions will be awesome!! :D
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

pet smarts 2.5 g and 10g glass tanks are the same price. the 10 gal doesnt have a hood. where in NY are you btw? all the other kits come with filters... I guess you'd want to buy one if you're getting a 5g plus so you can cycle it :) Theres a filter for a 20 gal on craigslist NYC right now for $10. will definitely need buffering though.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 
Cargo

You could get a Top Fin 10 gallon aquarium and hood kit for $29.99. If you can use Amazon, get a Hydor Theo heater. They are definitely some of the best heaters made. A 50 watt is only $20.79 on Amazon. You can use regular play sand if you want sand substrate, plus its even cheaper than gravel. You can get a 50 pound bag at the home depot for about $3.50 to $4.00, just make sure it doesn't say "NOT SAFE FOR AQUARIUMS." Generally, play sand is safe, but there are knock offs and different variations and such. For a filter, I would recommend a sponge filter. They cause very little surface agitation and cannot suck fish/shrimp/frogs in. Also, they're very very very cheap... I will include a link to one on Amazon. Remember, you're also going to need an air pump to operate the sponge filter. PetSmart also does price matching if you have a printer to print out the pictures. You can save A LOT of money that way. Always try to find it on Amazon. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is only $15.89 on Amazon. Its regularly $32.99 in store...

Here is a link to the sponge filter: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter-Fish/dp
/B0056XVF82/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1337984188&sr=1-4

Also, if you do get the 10 gallon, you can have about ten ghost shrimp and three african dwarf frogs, or twenty ghost shrimp, or just about five african dwarf frogs...
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Thank you both for the suggestions :)

I'm up in Monroe (Orange County), but I haven't gone to the fish tank section of Petsmart yet. Didn't want to tempt myself haha

But I'll try and do the price matching thing :) Getting a hood is definitely an important thing!
Oh, I wish I knew someone who worked in Petsmart who could give me an inventory :/ It's the only real petstore near me, and it's actually about 30 minutes away.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #5 
Cargo

Also forgot to mention the hood doesn't come with a bulb, so you will need this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Hoods
A single clear one is enough. You will have 2.5 watts per gallon then, enough for medium to high light plants.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

Thank you!! :D