Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #21 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
I would say that after seven days you should be fine to put him into the 2.8 gallon and just keep the water clean and do water changes and the fin rot should go away naturally... Fin rot isn't too harsh of a problem and usually can just be treated by clean water... so I wouldn't start the salt treatment back up again unless it gets really bad for some reason... I have a 3 gallon and I do a 50% and 100% weekly and my little guy is thriving
Oh exciting!! I can't wait for him to check out his new place!! I think I'll finish the 10 day treatment just to be sure.... I don't think I could deal with any more drama.... Telly (red CT) died yesterday prob due to stress, I'm not sure.... Any ways.... Thanks for checking in and giving him the thumbs up. I agree that I'll be doing the same water changes in the 2.8 that I was in the 1 gal.... And taking extra caution and check them thoroughly till I'm comfortable they're routine works for them. Check out his new home compared to his old. So excited!!
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #22 
SarahandOscar

upgrade =)
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #23 
Karebear13

Aww im sorry about your loss :( Did he have fin rot too? And were you treating him? My crowtail didn't make it either and I was scared that it was from the stress of the medication but salt is always the safer med to use...

Yeah I would finish the ten days and then acclimate him back to freshwater.

Wow that new tank is amazing! I love the astronaut thing or scuba diver thing? LOL where did you get?

ALso Im curious what heater are you using?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #24 
SarahandOscar

No i'm fairly sure it was just stress, there's been alot of moving and re organising with all the upgrades and things i have learnt to do and not to do, it may have been just a bit too much plus if my other boys are anything to go by i'm fairly sure amonia poisoning could have been a factor although no visual signs.... I'm just frustrated that i didn't do the right thing for them since the beginning. But now i know i guess.. i try and find the positives as hard as it can be sometimes.

what do you mean by aclimatise him back to freshwater, should i wein him off? like less and less each day?

The scuba helmet i bought from petcare2000 here in Australia, after 6 weeks on non stop petstore/aquarium investigating i found it last week and was happy it'll fit in the tanks i got.

Originally in the 1 gal i was using the marina 10w (non adjustable) but i was only getting the water to 22-24 degrees (like 71 degrees fahrenheit) then i saw everyone putting their heaters on an angle in the tanks and bought the aqua one 25w (adjustable) which were a bit larger but cheaper and they have not missed a beat! (the petstores laugh at me cause i have to buy everything in bulk for the 5 tanks haha)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #25 
ANHEL123

Quote:
I would say that after seven days you should be fine to put him into the 2.8 gallon and just keep the water clean and do water changes and the fin rot should go away naturally... Fin rot isn't too harsh of a problem and usually can just be treated by clean water... so I wouldn't start the salt treatment back up again unless it gets really bad for some reason... I have a 3 gallon and I do a 50% and 100% weekly and my little guy is thriving
Agreed with everything+

If your 4 boys active and eating and active it really not necessary to treat them with aq salt. I would not unless you will see more symptoms (clumped fins, color pale, bloody tips, getting shorter and shouted, falling apart, ragged edges, fuzzy white cottony patches ,large part of the tail drop off….of course any behavior changes you should worry about

Also if your other bettas halfmoon. They are prone to getting holes and rips in their fins. The fins are very fragile and they can get torn just from flaring. So I agreed with water changes that Karebear gave you. Clean water will help to heal and prevent infections.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #26 
Karebear13

Whenever you change a fish's pH and what not you have to acclimate them properly so that the change isn't stressful. So what I would do is if you have like a little cup (like where you put him in for water changes) Put him in that and prepare freshwater separately. Dump out 15% of the salt water and add 15% of freshwater to the cup. Do this every 15 minutes I would say four times is fine... This allows a non stressful change for them
Old 06-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #27 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Agreed with everything+

If your 4 boys active and eating and active it really not necessary to treat them with aq salt. I would not unless you will see more symptoms (clumped fins, color pale, bloody tips, getting shorter and shouted, falling apart, ragged edges, fuzzy white cottony patches ,large part of the tail drop off….of course any behavior changes you should worry about

Also if your other bettas halfmoon. They are prone to getting holes and rips in their fins. The fins are very fragile and they can get torn just from flaring. So I agreed with water changes that Karebear gave you. Clean water will help to heal and prevent infections.
Thanks =) all of them had some fin deterioration/rot and were clamping and had to be pursuaded to eat so they're all being treated with salt at the moment although the other 3 (all crown tails) were not as bad as my fan tail so i'll only treat them for 7 days i think.
I've noticed HUGE improvements already with them all and they're all back to their bubbly energised selves so i'm extremely relieved and am counting the days till this is all behind us all. I really appreciate the help and guidance.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #28 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Whenever you change a fish's pH and what not you have to acclimate them properly so that the change isn't stressful. So what I would do is if you have like a little cup (like where you put him in for water changes) Put him in that and prepare freshwater separately. Dump out 15% of the salt water and add 15% of freshwater to the cup. Do this every 15 minutes I would say four times is fine... This allows a non stressful change for them
Ok yeah i can follow that, is that the way you should shift them into the salt water when you start treatment?

Thanks again for following this and helping me with advice and putting my "first time mum with sick betta" mind to rest. GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #29 
Karebear13

Yeah its always better to do that because the salt can be shock to them so its a good way to acclimate to new water parameters. You should be fine though so don't stress if you didnt because they seem to be doing great. Just do so when you are putting them back in freshwater :)