Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 
phoenix91
Member
 
phoenix91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Ripped tail fin

Hey all,

My little lady Artemis has ripped her tail fin again. This is the second time in as many weeks that she's ripped it in the same place. I checked all around the tank and can't see anything sharp she might be catching it on; there are rocks but she's lived with them for a year with no issues. So aside from clean water and good food is there anything i can do to make sure it doesn't turn into fin rot?

Name:  arty6.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  24.9 KB

Oh and just a quick question. Do the females have a beard like the males do? Arty has been flaring like crazy when i go over to the tank; it doesn't look as big as my males beard did but it's definitely there.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
You've had her for a year or so, right? She's a female :p Some females may have a more distinct outline that can be mistaken for a beard. My Savannah has a "beard" but yes, she IS a female

As for the chance of fin rot... you answered it yourself Clean water and good food! What size of tank is she in? I've found, that some of my females get jumpy and try to BURY themselves in the rocks, which causes them to be injured. Adding a cave, floating plants, and soft silky, fabric or live plants will help. Female bettas tend to like it more dense in their tanks
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
Sena's got it right. clean water, and good food. foods high in protein help with fin regrowth, so if you can find frozen bloodworms, give her a few. :B freeze-dried is also high in protein, but can cause bloat pretty easy. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 
Shadyr
Member
 
Shadyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Georgia
That looks more like a chunk missing from the tail rather than a rip...any chance she's biting her tail? Can girls be tailbiters? (I don't know, I'm fairly new to this myself!)
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #5 
Cargo
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Keep the water clean. Feed good food, the nutrients and protein will help rebuild missing tail. You can also add some aquarium salt. Many betta owners use aquarium salt over Melafix or Bettafix because its a lot less powerful, but still has healing properties.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
Ohhh yeah females can be tail biters. If they can reach, they can bite!

I wouldn't bother with salt right now, as it is minor. I mean, keeping the water clean and food varied you won't need AQ salt.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #7 
phoenix91
Member
 
phoenix91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
You've had her for a year or so, right? She's a female :p Some females may have a more distinct outline that can be mistaken for a beard. My Savannah has a "beard" but yes, she IS a female

As for the chance of fin rot... you answered it yourself Clean water and good food! What size of tank is she in? I've found, that some of my females get jumpy and try to BURY themselves in the rocks, which causes them to be injured. Adding a cave, floating plants, and soft silky, fabric or live plants will help. Female bettas tend to like it more dense in their tanks
Yes, i've had her for probably over a year now. She just never really flared before so it's new and funny behaviour. She's just gotten a lot bolder lately.

She's in a 5 g planted tank, there are a few more plants on the right side since this was taken. I might get her a cave or one of those betta logs, i gave the one i had to my puffer and he loves it!

Name:  arty 5 g.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  45.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
Sena's got it right. clean water, and good food. foods high in protein help with fin regrowth, so if you can find frozen bloodworms, give her a few. :B freeze-dried is also high in protein, but can cause bloat pretty easy. x:
Good, i do these already. I have frozen bloodworms too (i have a dwarf puffer that eats them too) and she goes nuts for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
That looks more like a chunk missing from the tail rather than a rip...any chance she's biting her tail? Can girls be tailbiters? (I don't know, I'm fairly new to this myself!)
Yeah, i thought maybe tail biting but would she let it completely heal them bite it again? Last time it happened it looked like there was a hole in her tail but the outside edge was connected then slowly the flap ripped off. This time it just looks like a chunk has been torn off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
Keep the water clean. Feed good food, the nutrients and protein will help rebuild missing tail. You can also add some aquarium salt. Many betta owners use aquarium salt over Melafix or Bettafix because its a lot less powerful, but still has healing properties.
I didn't much want to ad salt because i have live plants and thought it might be detrimental to them. I'll keep up with water changes and might even bump them up for a while to make sure everything is clean and spiffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Ohhh yeah females can be tail biters. If they can reach, they can bite!

I wouldn't bother with salt right now, as it is minor. I mean, keeping the water clean and food varied you won't need AQ salt.
Thanks. I hope she's not biting, that would be unfortunate after having a non-biter for so long.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
Some bettas let it heal, then do it all over again. I've had bettas who start biting after I've had them for quite a while... Some do it just because, some do it out of boredom, stress, illness... No one can really pinpoint the cause of tail biting :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 
phoenix91
Member
 
phoenix91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Hmmm. Maybe she's a bit bored, i don't see how thought, she has a cat companion that loves to watch her. I'll get her a log to swim in and see if that helps.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
Well, for some of my bettas the interior mattered more than the exterior, and vice versa El Dorado HAD to be able to see people constantly. So he was in my living room. But Georgie, prefers the interior of his tank, and dislikes the exterior
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ripped Tail? :( Siamese Fighting Fish Betta Fish Care 4 05-08-2011 04:58 PM
Tail Biting/ Ripped Tail serenityroyal Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 7 05-06-2010 12:59 PM
Split/ripped tail? HELP! prettyfishy312 Betta Fish Care 9 04-22-2010 02:08 PM
My Betta's Tail Ripped! What Do I Do?!? Vampure Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 7 09-19-2008 11:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.