Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 
Shadyr

I hate everything about them!

I got the Topfin version of these (which I can't even find on the petsmart site anymore) for my kids for Christmas, the original occupants were to be frogs, but lets say we had no luck with frogs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-Aq...ndingMethod=rr

I have come to the conclusion that I hate everything about them. Since I wasn't using the undergravel passive filter, I removed it and the tube and airstone and tried to make do. It made the tank roomier, but not really any better. I just simply can't get a good look at the bettas in these...if they swim too far to the side the vanish into the diffraction curve. The LEDs in the hood are not bright enough to light up the tank at night. The connector where the light plugs into the hood has started rusting. The hood is not secure enough to handle the cats; they can and have easily knocked them off many times. Happily that wasn't the cause of any frog or fish issues. Yet. I had to start securing the hood with alligator clips, which makes water changes or just opening it up to interact with the betta a hassle.

SO: Recommendations on replacements! These are the tanks in my kids rooms, they can't really be bigger than a 3 gallon due to location limitations. My husband is convinced I'm blowing our retirement on the fish, so less expensive is good. Of the other tanks I have, I do like my 2.5 mini bow, and the hood on it seems to be fairly cat impervious. I *love* my Marineland Crescent 3 gallon...but the cover on it is not particularly cat compatible, which is why it has landed on my desk at work.

Might even take a look around at a couple of local thrift stores
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 
ZergyMonster

Kritter keepers or pet brand pet containers are cheap and good. They are rectangular so that you won't get the distorted look and they hold water well with their snap on lids. I got my 2 gallon tank for $10.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #3 
thekinetic

Honostly topfin I've found pretty good for the price at least my 5.5 was and my nieces 10 was. But if you want quality and ease of access you're going to want to buy all equipment seperately (tank, hood, filter, heater). My dad and I have done this for years this way and it's usually not much more expensive if you take the time to check prices at different locations.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 
Laki

Kritter Keepers are a great tank. I love mine, but the cover might not hold a cat. My cat doesn't care about the fish but I saw him stand on it once, to get to something on the wall.. It would have broke.
Mini bows are nice tanks :)
Some places sell 2.5 regular rectangle tanks (like a really small version of your traditional tank) and you MIGHT be able to get a sturdy lid for it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 
MollyJean

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...ndingMethod=rr

We had one of these at my old house and it worked great. The filter in it wasn't really strong but it was quiet and there was no problems seeing anything because it's all flat. Oh, and no chance of the lid popping off, it's pretty secure. And the light is really bright. I think the only drawback was the hinge, cause sometimes I just wanted to take the lid off.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Walmart sells starter kits with tank, hood with light & filter.

I got a 10 gallon for $30- great quality great price.

They also have a 5 gal kit for around the same price.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 
Cattitude

SSSCat!!

It's a can of compressed air with a motion sensor on top. When cats or anything else trigger the sensor, it hisses a harmless jet of air and scares them away.

I use them to protect both my fish tanks and my plants from my three hairy holy terrors. You can get them at Petsmart.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote