Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #1 
lvandert

Angry I need to rant about jury service...

OK so before everyone gets all testy neither I nor my bf have problems serving jury duty, infact he looks forward to it even if its screwing up his life. It's sad.

My service- I get a notice in Rapid City SD about serving civil jury duty in Saint Paul MN during February. I ask for it to be postponed until the summer because I have classes then, come one I'm a full time student here. That got granted, but then I had to take a summer course so I had to have it moved again. I had to print off my proof of enrollment and DRIVE all the way to saint paul (623 miles) to hand it to the lady in person because "it just can't be faxed or e-mailed". Once there she signed me up for a weeks service during my next 3 week break between semesters. Once again I had to drive all the way back to saint paul and serve my term. I got NO compensation for my travels (even though it says you will) and I got 10 dollars a day. 10 dollars! For sitting there and never even getting into a flipping court. I missed about 100 dollars worth of work and spent over that traveling to and from. As if that didn't make me mad now their after my bf.

His service- He got a notice about serving federal jury service in rapid city SD (at least its the same city this time) last winter. Saying they'll need him December January and February. Umm once again he's a full time student so it had to be moved. They gave him June and July. If he wants to graduate this year he needs to take a summer class so he can finish his degree next year. So he went in to get it moved again, they gave him August and September!! DO THEY NOT KNOW HE'S A STUDENT?! he's had to have it moved once because of school what makes you think he's going to be able to do it then when classes start AUGUST 27TH!!! And gee why dont you try to get him to do it next April while your at it, he's only supposed to graduate a month from then. He told the lady he wont have any time until after he graduates but no that's not good enough. He had to write a letter to the judge asking for an appeal. If they would just realize that he will do it when he has the time it wouldn't be such a big effin deal. But no you got to make him jump through hoops and possibly eff up his graduation.
It says that you can appeal if an extreme hardship will be suffered and oh I don't know if NOT graduating counts as an extreme hardship. Or how about forcing him to serve this summer, causing him to take over the allowed limit in credits in the fall, and then because of it not being able to work enough hours to cover rent and bills? Is that considered extreme hardship? we're still waiting to hear from the judge and I'm going to be super mad if they tell him no...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Wow...they are really strict about jury duty there! It's way more lax here - one of my friends got out of it because he was studying for a piano exam.

I'm a little bit jealous of people who get to do jury duty (not when it's as messed up as the situation you are describing, of course), because as a law student, I'm not allowed to.

The whole concept of juries really annoy me, though. Why is it better to have people's fate in the hands of their peers, who know nothing about the law, who are proven to make judgements because someone 'just looks guilty', who can be swayed by a silver-tongued lawyer, than by a judge who has spent their whole life studying the tiniest nuances of the law, is an expert in the field, and who has had all bias beaten out of them? It's an outmoded concept and it bothers me no end. Give me trial by judge rather than trial by jury anyday.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope I never get called for jury duty. I know, it's my duty but I have no transportation and there is no way I can get there unless someone takes me which would be a major inconvenience.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #4 
lvandert

They'll tell you to take the bus. Believe me, I told them I didn't have a vehicle and they sent me the first day's bus pass...
Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Tell them you have a religious obligation to travel only by rickshaw.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 
lvandert

LOL!!! that is great! He got an e-mail from the judge this morning stating that he was excused. Still had to jump through hoops but it worked out.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

How come the judge is allowed to email things, but you have to drive 600 miles to hand deliver things?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #8 
lvandert

I have no idea, different states work differently. its frustrating...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 
nel3

how well does appearing biased work? id think if they'd do a small interview you'd just act judgmental, overly biased and impulsive would be enough to scare them away pretty well.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #10 
lvandert

lol yeah. When I got called in it didn't even get the chance to be biased, but I've heard other people just state "I am openly biased against drug users and if they were found with drugs on them then their guilty." and they got out of it