Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #1 
rexeth

55 gal sorority - enough cover?

Hi everyone - Just wanted to get some advice to make sure I give this tank the best chance of working out. I've read through the sorority sticky. I have a 55 gal heated, filtered, planted (moderately?) tank. Set everything up last Sunday, I'm hoping the cycle should almost be done since I started with used gravel, filter media and plants. Getting water checked out tomorrow since I don't have my own test kit yet.

I'd like to do 12-15 girls, with a bristlenose pleco or two. Does this look like enough cover for that many? There are lots of hidey places within the wood and plants. Will 12-15 work out in a tank this size? I figured there would be less aggression with each girl having more room, but then I've read places that overstocking helps with aggression. I'll probably toss in a few terra cotta pots until I can get some more wood.

Thanks so much!
Attached Images

rexeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 
kfryman

You need to break up the line of sight way more. You shouldnt be able to see through to the other side. Get fast growing stem plants for this, like ludwigia, hyrophila, wisteria, or rotala. You could also get jungle val.

It looks great just needs more plant density. Look at my sorority album to see what I am talkig about.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #3 
laoshun

you could consider floating plants, that could be an easy option for the top cover and extra obstacles in the tank.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #4 
rexeth

I see what you mean by breaking up the line of sight. I'll pick up some more tall, fast growing plants and some anacharis to float. I really like the jungle val. Kfryman, what kind of plant is that in your tank that looks like it's growing down from the surface? Duckweed?
rexeth is offline   Reply With Quote