Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 
Shadyr

Help identify the salad bowl please!

I'm an impulse buyer, I admit it. And the pet stores were having a Memorial Day weekend sale, so I brought home some live plants for the rest of the gang. I stuck them all in a spare bowl and have been letting them get used to my water for a few days.

After consulting Mo's sticky, I'm pretty sure the thing on the right is a Water Wisteria. The banana plant...fairly self-identifying.

That leaves the "potted water plant" in the middle, and the wispy "water plant bundle" with the little lavender flowers as unidentified.

Though I do have a question about the banana plant. I have another one in Ghost's tank already, and I just let it kinda hang out. Should I bury the "bananas" in the gravel or just continue to let it drift? It seems happy, it's putting out it's second new leaf since I got it.

Ooh and another plant question...the other plant in Ghost's tank was identified to me as a "Moneywort". It came in a little bundle kinda like the water wisteria and lavender flower plant are. I initially put its feet in the gravel, but I eventually unbundled it and let it drift. A few of the stems died and were removed, the rest lost a fair number of leaves but have since started putting out new ones and growing roots out all over their stems. Should these have their feet or at least some of the roots in the gravel, or are they ok to be free floating too?

Why yes, I'm new to planting too, why do you ask?

Name:  saladbowl1280.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  79.2 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I have moneywort. I hate it It kept dying on me. For me I had to have it under an ornament, to have it stay down there are plant anchors though that weigh them down? Currently my one piece I have left has been floating with two other plants and their roots all twisted together But it hasn't died while floating. I find it needs lots of light!! I find most plants drift around and eventually attach to something, or, remain floating =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #3 
Shadyr

The moneyworts that are still alive seem to be doing OK just floating around. I thought I killed them all since they lost so many leaves, but maybe they were just reacting to the different water? At any rate, the ones that made it are getting new growth. The room Ghost is in gets a lot of diluted natural light through a big stained glass window, which I guess they like.

I'm planning on putting one of the tall and one of the short things in with each of the kids' fish.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

That would work just acclimate like a sensitive fish!! Some plants hate changes, some plants don't care

heh heh...salad bowl...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

i've never acclimated plants, and they've all survived. Plants seem to hate water that are too clean though
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 
Silverfang

The potted plant appears to be a sword of some sort. It needs more depth, and root tabs for fertilizer. You can buy a pack with 10 nickle sized disks. Place one under the plant hen you bury it. You should give them new ones on occasion, just now sure how frequently.

Have had zero luck with money wort, wisteria, and sprite. The other plan on the bottom is a banana plant... it should be easy to figure out which one I mean :)
Oops, heh, see you figure it out, never completely bury the tubers of the banana plant.. it will rot and be disgusting. Just push it into the sand/substrate until the roots take hold.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #7 
Shadyr

Does one normally remove the potted plant from it's container when you add it into the actual tank?

It sounds like I can go ahead and add them to the aquariums then - they all look healthyish and as far as I can tell, nothing extra rode home in or on them. I've had them in the salad bowl for three days.

The leaves on the thing with flowers looks kinda like my moneywort...do they get little lavender flowers normally?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

lavender flowers... does it smell kind of minty?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #9 
Silverfang

yup, remove the pot/basket before you plant.

I couldn't really make out the plant with flowers, I might just have failing eyesight tho, heh.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #10 
Shadyr

Here's a closer picture of the unidentified plant, you can see some of the tiny flowers on some of the stalks. This was about 5 minutes after I put it in Ghosts' tank, and you can see it already sprouted a betta!

Name:  ghostplant1280.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  73.8 KB