Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #1 
colorxmexravyne

Replacement filter?

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. (:

So, right to the point. What are some good, low/adjustable flow filters for a five gallon tank? I currently have a an Aqua-Tech 5-15 powerfilter (it came with an aquarium starter kit from Walmart) and even with a baffle, it's too strong for my boy Bandit. The flow of water from the sides of the of the baffled filter pushes him around. Being the stubborn thing that he is, Bandit flares up and tries to swim into the current, and it's ripping his fins.

I'm 100 positive that it's the filter that's ripping his fins. Yes there are plastic plants in his tank, but I've done the pantyhose test and they don't snag, plus I've taken them out and just left Bandit and the few stems of anacharis floating in his water but still got the same results. I'm also pretty certain that it's not fin rot.

As stated, Bandit is (alone) in a 5 gallon tank. The temperature is ranges from 80 to 82 degrees. My water parameters are all good. No ammonia, no nitrite and 20 nitrates. The tank finished cycling sometime in early April.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #2 
Cargo

Your ultimate $6 solution:
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioch...7987195&sr=8-4
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 
colorxmexravyne

Thank you, though I'm not really all that familiar with sponge filters. What would I do with my current biofilter?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #4 
roubidoux

I have the very same WalMart tank and Filter. I actually love the filter, it is very, very quiet. I attached some aquarium sponge to the filter outflow with a rubber band and that took care of the strong current problem.
roubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 
jman828

Best Filter you will EVER get! http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-20-P...8139763&sr=8-1
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #6 
LorRenee

I personally use the Marina S10. http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A285-Mar...8164320&sr=8-4

It's usually quiet and has an adjustable flow. I haven't had any problems so far with the intake or the outflow. Occasionally it picks up a rattle and I'll go and give it a good nudge and it shuts up. This could be a major downside if you don't want to ever mess with it to remind it to be quiet. As for the outflow, Twpsyn can swim in/around/float directly under it and doesn't care. There is always a bit off current and if he sits really still it'll push his fins, but nothing harmful.

Or there's the awesome sponge filter. There are hundreds of DIY tutorials online/on youtube and you can usually build your own for just a few bucks if you're on a tight budget.
LorRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #7 
colorxmexravyne

wow, sorry this is so late but thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

i still have the same filter as i did when i first made this thread, but Bandit's fins are completely tattered now and i just can't stand looking at him like that anymore.

my next question is what happens to the biomedia in my current filter? is there a way to like...transplant that into the new filter? or do i have to do something different?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #8 
colorxmexravyne

So, I've been looking into sponge filters and it seems those would be the best route for me to go. Could someone educate me on them? How exactly do they work? And, again, what do I do with the biomedia sponge that's already in my aqua-tech 15 filter?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #9 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorxmexravyne View Post
So, I've been looking into sponge filters and it seems those would be the best route for me to go. Could someone educate me on them? How exactly do they work? And, again, what do I do with the biomedia sponge that's already in my aqua-tech 15 filter?
IMO and IME, those aren't good enough. Best to get aquaclear. Has 3 seaparate cartridges to always have some BB....prevents lots of hassles and cycle issues
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #10 
colorxmexravyne

Yeah, I've read a lot about the Aqua Clear's too. But I *still* don't know what I do with the the biosponge/media that's already in my current filter. Do i just put it in the new filter or...?

Tags
betta, filter