Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 
sarak

Poor, sick betta

We have a betta, Charmet Dan Anderson, who has been with us for about a year. He's been great. Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed he appears to be getting smaller. Noticeably smaller -- his entire body. And over the past couple days, he's stayed at the bottom of the small aquarium, barely eating, barely swimming. He's sick, clearly. I sent a friend to Petsmart just now for aquarium salt and bettafix (recommended by woman I spoke with on the phone but now I'm reconsidering after reading reviews on that). Doesn't appear to be fin rot, though. I've looked. He's just... tiny.

I don't know exactly what to do immediately. I did change his water, 100%. I acclimated him slowly back in. He has a small tank, which I'm now learning is less than ideal (probably fits about five cups of water, along with rocks and fake plant), no filtration, and no heater. After reading here, I realize that that's not good. We'll change that.

But immediately, to help him, what are the initial steps I should take? Please help if you can; my six-year old is waiting and watching and worried, as am I. Thanks in advance for your insight.
sarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need more info and a pic...

Copy/paste and add to your thread...more detailed info the better....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #3 
sarak

He's struggling. The woman at pet store ASSURED me that the aquarium salt was a bad idea in such a small aquarium. I have used the bettafix (last night). He's at the bottom, still, and seems no better. I have bought a new aquarium with filtration and heater, but i can't move him until he's stable, I'm guessing. It's the most pitiful thing.. ever. I've pretty well sucked as a betta caregiver.

Here are the answers:

Housing
What size is your tank? .5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Lately, not often :< Last time was a month ago
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is smaller
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sitting on bottom. Not eating. Seems to be straining, gills moving quickly
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Bettafix (drops last night)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 year
Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #4 
sarak

Pic of C. Dan Anderson Attached

Think I did it right; pic is nonetheless blurry, but I pray it helps. I'm at a loss, and I think (s)he's suffering. I did notice, as i went to take the pic, that Dan races to the top to grab some air, then back down to bottom. That's all though. Nothing new to report. My thanks, again.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Try doing a weekly water change of 25% with gravel siphoning (siphons are generally 12 dollars for a decent one), a bucket will be needed. This'll keep ammonia down.

Can you get a heater? he might perk up with the water being 78 degrees
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #6 
sarak

Just got a heater and new, 3.5 gallon aquarium today. Do you think I should get the new aquarium set up now? I've been cleaning gravel to prepare it. I am a bit concerned that the heater may be overpowering for the tiny environment he's currently in. Thank you for the reply! And never, ever again will I let such time go by between water changes. I can definitely give the syphoning a try.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

You are right that the 3.5 will be better. and the heater will be overpowering for a .5 Set up the tank first, testing the heater too. Acclimate him as if he were new... floating in a bag, or cup, and adding the tank water to his cup/bag

I accidentally read 5 gallons for a 0.5 it would be every day, or every 2 days needed because they can get sick from ammonia poisoning!! in the 3.5, it can be every week. He might be feeling sick because of it.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #8 
sarak

Thank you much. I've got the 3.5 gallon set up with filter and heater, which is working. Added recommended amt of water conditioner and turned on filter. Now just waiting. Everything I sees says to wait 24 hours to let the aquarium stabilize. I'm cool with doing that but weighing the options: transition to bigger, heated aquarium sooner or wait for full 24 hours and hope for the best?

Also, should I be doing something with salt? And do I keep up the bettafix. I'm sorry for endless questions.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I don't use bettafix. You don't need it especially for ammonia burns. It'll just make it more irritable. Salt, don't use that either. Clean water and good food!

24 hours is fine, usually by then the bubbles are gone. But I have added bettas to just-set-up-an-hour-ago tanks.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #10 
sarak

So you're pretty convinced that this was/is an ammonia issue? That's my last question (at least for the next hour, I promise!)

Tags
shrinking beta, sick betta