Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #1 
Cinderwolf

Getting Shrimp :D

I found a store that has ghost shrimp for 99 cents :D That means, I GET THEM!

So I want to set up the QT tank before I get them. I havea 2 gal I can use . I also boguht a bunch of plants so I am plannign on puttign them in the QT tank so they can qt with the shrimp . Then the shrimp get plants. Anyways.

I have a 6 Gallon tank for my betta, so realistically , how many shrimp can I fit in it with the betta. I have lots of plant s( will have more when the QT is done : P ) and a filter.

Also so the QT how much water shoudl I change weekly to keep thme healthy ? I will have about 5 strands of cambomba, 5 money worts, 3-5 vals, and a sword plant. Also , do they need a heater in the qt tank.. casue I only have one.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 
Spazzfish

I highly recomend floating a plant my shrimp hang from them its very neat to watch.
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderwolf View Post
I found a store that has ghost shrimp for 99 cents :D That means, I GET THEM!

So I want to set up the QT tank before I get them. I havea 2 gal I can use . I also boguht a bunch of plants so I am plannign on puttign them in the QT tank so they can qt with the shrimp . Then the shrimp get plants. Anyways.

I have a 6 Gallon tank for my betta, so realistically , how many shrimp can I fit in it with the betta. I have lots of plant s( will have more when the QT is done : P ) and a filter.
Up to 30, no problems. :) I'd probably go with fewer, though. Maybe 20.

Also so the QT how much water shoudl I change weekly to keep thme healthy ?
I'd do 2x 50% changes per week.
I will have about 5 strands of cambomba, 5 money worts, 3-5 vals, and a sword plant. Also , do they need a heater in the qt tank.. casue I only have one.
No, they don't need a heater, but you do need to keep the temperature as steady as possible. :)
Hope this helps. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #4 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Hope this helps. :)
WOW o.o 30?! thats insane hah I was thinkign like 6 LOL I guess I coudl go with an even 10 to start. actualy probably jsut 3 or 4 ... to see if he eats them all : P
LOL
Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #5 
Micho

Just saying, since Ghost Shrimps are bred so easily, and in mass numbers they're prone to diseases and dying since they have weak immune systems. If you lose more than half of them, it's probably not your fault. I would try to aim for the smaller ones, big Ghost Shrimps means that they are older and will have trouble adapting, younger ones are the ones that usually survive.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #6 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Just saying, since Ghost Shrimps are bred so easily, and in mass numbers they're prone to diseases and dying since they have weak immune systems. If you lose more than half of them, it's probably not your fault. I would try to aim for the smaller ones, big Ghost Shrimps means that they are older and will have trouble adapting, younger ones are the ones that usually survive.
Thanks ! i'll keep that in mind. Anything else I shoudl look for when picking the shrimp?
Old 05-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #7 
sparkyjoe

I am loving the little Cherry Shrimps I've got in one of my tanks.. They're super active and "fly" around the tank. They share a tank with my one long finned betta boy who only occasionally shows interest in them.

I also just picked up an Amano shrimp for another tank and I'm not sure Manny the shrimp is gonna do since he's in the tank with my juvenile giant who is *slightly* more aggressive than my other bettas. Once I've got a good breeding colony going with my Cherry shrimps I might try a few in this tank so Manny has some company.

Have fun with your shrimps!
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #8 
thekinetic

Don't know where you're at but a place near me called Pristine Aquariums sells them for 6 for a dollar. Petsmart usually sells them for 33 cents a piece also.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #9 
Cinderwolf

eh, its my petsmart that has them fro 99 cents. and it si the only store in my city that sells them, so 99 cents is good enoguh for me haha
Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #10 
CHARLi3

Walmart has ghost shrimp for like a quarter XD
Oh, and be CAREFUL! My boyfriend and I got a few more ghost shrimp from walmart, after we switched two of ours to the tropical tank since there was fewer fish and decided they needed some friends.. I don't know if it was because these shrimp were pregnant or what.. but they were VERY mean.
They killed a few of our fish, including our small pleco and I'm not being dramatic.. They would grab onto our fish and HOLD them down and eat at them. We lost at least 4 fish to those little guys so we got rid of them.

Our first batch was just fine, so just watch them for aggressiveness.
CHARLi3 is offline   Reply With Quote