Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Snails and Plants! From the Lake?

Well I know I've been blabbing about trying it, and getting some critters and plants from the lake. Anywho, odd thing is THIS plant and THIS plant (neither are my pictures) are in the lake!!! First one I believe is duckweed, second one I never remember the name of the plant. The second one is found mainly in the murky water (where a leach hitch hiked my net)... With the shrimp who I've caught 8 they've been acclimated to the 17.8 gallon tub, which I will add a air pump here soon as well.

The third and fourth picture is the tub, with the bunch o' goop and critters. It was mainly a daphnia/infusoria desire to go to the lake Now I have a mini ecosystem.

Second last picture I got one white shell, and the other I believe is alive. I remember them from BC!!
Last picture is one of the snails... And fyi that isn't the biggest fella also, did you know they bite? It feels....weird.

Anyways, what is the second plant called? How hardy are they really? What are their needs? The one I get from stores always die in warmer water. So I stopped getting them since I own all tropical fish...

And what are the snails called?

How do you feed leaches? xD I didn't mean to get him lol.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #2 
Mo

Duckweed, ramshorn snails, pond snails, and hornwort. I don't know the name of the last snail though
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

thanks =D hornwort...okay! lol. I won't be adding any of them to my tanks, if I do it'll be their own tank. I was surprised I did not find any minnows yet... Anyways, that last snail is everywhere! Most of them a good 2 inches or bigger.

... I should note I captured the gooey snail eggs Which means I'll get an explosion..

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #4 
Mo

I'm not sure if hornwort, and duckweed are native to your lake. But they are both very hardy plants, they can grow in the most undesirable conditions, so if they aren't native, they might have been accidentally introduced and spread
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Ahhh that would make lots of sense.

Say, if one did introduce the plant back to a tank, can they carry diseases or undesirable chemicals/leach stuff?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #6 
Mo

Hmm. They have the potential to carry parasites into the Ann and kill your fish. I would recommend bpwashing the plant thoroughly and Quarentining the plants for 3 weeks
Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

makes sense I don't have a desire to add anything from that tub to my tanks any time soon ><

I do wonder... should I give the snails some lettuce and whatnots? I mean they are with the plants that were in the lake along with moss, and some sand/mud/dirt, and rocks...

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-21-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Maybe some cucumber or algae waffer?

I think the last snail pictured is one of the one's shown on this Univ. Of Alberta site:
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/...rates/?Page=19

If you look at the whole page, there are some neat diagrams and stuff of various snails
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #9 
Mo

Hmm, since it is probably occustimed to eating foods that fall or form in the lake it might be a bit used to other things such as decaying plant matter, or algae. An might not see cucumbers as a potential food. I would slowly start converting them onto cucumber or lettuce
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

well it tried eating my hand if that helps THAT is the weirdest rough feeling ever >< Kinda like dull needles... o_o

And heyyyy thanks for the link! That's them alright!! Lymnaea stagnalis... Also known as the great pond snail, which is a large air breathing snail =D and yes is found in Alberta Prefers low flow or stagnant water... And they carry lots of parasites apparently or can.

I just might have a tank just for "lake ecosystem miniatured" :p