Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Best food for growth?

Does anyone know what is the best food for a growing betta for them to get really big and strong? (particularly a giant)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #2 
Bethydan

New Life Spectrum works well for me, and I've heard that others have used it to bulk their fish up with great success.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #3 
Micho

I've heard that Atison's Pro is the only food that some breeders use, it really does the job for their fry.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #4 
EvilVOG

Live foods are your best bet. Mostly worm-type but you have to be careful with fry as some microworms and stuff can cause you to end up with fish with no ventrals.

My own access was limited when i was raising mine. I only really had my MW culture, BBS and frozen bloodworms and glassworms. I also fed NLS.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
Live foods are your best bet. Mostly worm-type but you have to be careful with fry as some microworms and stuff can cause you to end up with fish with no ventrals.

My own access was limited when i was raising mine. I only really had my MW culture, BBS and frozen bloodworms and glassworms. I also fed NLS.
hmm well what about a mixture of pellets and live for a betta between 3-5months old?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #6 
EvilVOG

sure, but they are most likely all but done growing at 5 months.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
sure, but they are most likely all but done growing at 5 months.
Wow really!? My Betta has grown a lot since I got him! Does that mean he was only less than 5 months? I thought he was older because his fins were mostly developed

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 05-29-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

They'll be fully finned and colored at three months or less. That still give s them time to grow, as yours apparently is still doing.

As an alternative to worms and pellets, you might look into Repashy carnivore food. Lots of meat, no filler.

Carnivore Gel Premix
NET WEIGHT 5.3 OZ / 150 GR

Our Meal Replacement Gel for Carnivorous Species of Fish, Amphibians, Invertebrates, and Reptiles.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Sardine Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Dried Kelp, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Dicalcium Phosphate,Taurine, Spirulina Algae, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 55%, Crude Fat min. 7%, Crude Fat Min 6% Max 8%, Crude Fiber max. 6%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 9%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2.5%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.

DIRECTIONS: To prepare one cup of product, add cup of powder into cup of cold water and stir until blended. Microwave until it starts to boil (typically 2-3 minutes), remove and stir. Alternatively, bring water to a boil on stove, remove from heat, and stir in powder. Immediately pour into a storage container or mould, and let sit at room temp until firm. The finished gel can be cut into cubes, shredded, or used as a whole slab. Whatever is not used immediately should be treated as fresh food. It can be stored sealed in refrigerator for up to two weeks, and in freezer for up to six months. To adjust firmness of gel, use more or less water as desired.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #9 
Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Wow really!? My Betta has grown a lot since I got him! Does that mean he was only less than 5 months? I thought he was older because his fins were mostly developed
They are sold in stores about 2 to 3 months old.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #10 
EvilVOG

they still grow, but at a much slower rate (to the point you may not even notice they are still growing)

I heard that you should never use the gel stuff, but i've never used it myself, and don't recall what it was that they didn't like about it.