Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #1 
ttubbs

does this betta sound like i can save it

hey everyone i saw this betta fish in petco the other day that i cant stop thinking about she was so pretty but i think something was wrong with her and i wanted to know if you think its savable when she swan she would spin in circles alomst like she was missing a fin i really wanna save her also when she stopped swimming she was would be on her side what do u guys think?
ttubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #2 
Ramble

Any sick betta is always a risk, but If you want to give it a chance, that's not a bad thing. I bought one from a LPS a couple of weeks ago that was in brown water, swimming backwards or upside down. The fish was white and pink. I didn't think it would make it, but after a few days of clean water (and a bout of swim bladder...) he turned into a vibrant dark purple veil tail ... And is doing great!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #3 
ttubbs

what reason do u think it spins while it swims tho
ttubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #4 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubbs View Post
hey everyone i saw this betta fish in petco the other day that i cant stop thinking about she was so pretty but i think something was wrong with her and i wanted to know if you think its savable when she swan she would spin in circles alomst like she was missing a fin i really wanna save her also when she stopped swimming she was would be on her side what do u guys think?
Go nowhere near this fish! That is NOT curable and fish that die from this are NOT to be flushed but thrown in the dirt somewhere. It has a bacteria that is eating the brain. You want to avoid getting this into a water system.. anywhere!
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

OMG! Thanks for the info, Basement Bettas. Poor fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #6 
MachinaSoul

Concerned... I had found a red veil tail the farthest local petco to me (15 miles away), and it was on its side, but still alive.

I thought it had that swim bladder/fin bladder issue, but nobody came by when I was standing in the very small fish area of the store, so I left its cup for one of the employees to stumble upon and hopefully deal with it.

What is this brain eating bacteria you speak of?
MachinaSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #7 
Cerulean

Hey ramble this is cerulean what do u me by a bout of swim bladder and now he is better. I am pretty sur my little dude has this if u read " my boy is sick "I describe it , any help to offer?
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #8 
Ramble

Hey Cerulean ... My fish would have trouble swimming and "pop" up to the top, then roll over sideways when not swimming. I followed other folks' advice on the site for treating SBD and he's doing great now!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #9 
MollyJean

ttubbs, It might be the brain eating dieses Basement Bettas was talking about, it might be swim bladder disorder, it might be an internal or external parasite, it could simply be age, insufficient food, or a result of very poor water conditions. There isn't much to go on. When you find a sick betta it's really easy to get sucked in, but it will take work, time and money to save any sick betta. And it doesn't matter if the fish has ich or something more serious, you have to be very careful not to spread it to your other fish. Decide if you can keep the fish in quarantine, in a heated, clean tank. Can you afford caring for the sick fish? And are you willing to accept a dead betta if your treatment doesn't work? If you can convince the store to give you the fish at a discount or for free, I would do it, but from the sound of the fish, he/she may be close to death and you might be unable to heal him/her.

We recently lost one of my daughter's mollies to old age. He was 2 years old when we go him and he lived 2 years. That's a good life for a molly, but at the end he stopped eating, got very thin and started swimming in circles at the bottom of his quarantine tank (I didn't want the other fish taking his food, as he was having such a problem getting to it before them.) From your explanation, he sounds like an old fish who's on his last days, but that seems unlikely, and the fact that he's laying on his side at all makes me think he's too far gone, but that's just my opinion.

I'm curious to know which way you went with this. (hate not having a computer.. can't check forums very often)

Oh, Basement Bettas, I'm curious what illness you're talking about. It's not one I'm familiar with.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #10 
Bladezero

Never heard and didn't find any info on that either (Basement betta's betta brain illness) I'd love to hear what is it..

But don't know about the to far gone part... I've seen betta recover from Dropsy in a late stage and other really bad situations so there is always a chance.. Unless its fish TB then your screwed..
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote