Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #1 
LolasMomma06

Mr. Fishy is close to death

Mr. Fishy is my first betta fish and first fish in general. He has always been active and happy most days. He ate like a pig. He loved his bloodworms and only ate them and nothing else. About a week and a half ago he stopped eating. Hasn't eaten a thing since. I then observed him for a few days hoping it was just a temporary thing. So at day four i decided to give him the betta care medicine that i got at petco. I did that for about three days. Seprerated him in a small container so he could reach the top for air easy because he has gotten weak by then. Then put him in the second container ive ever had for him. He has since turned slightly white. His fins are shrinking. At first they had little bumps at the bottom but i think that was because the tetras i had in with him were nipping at his fins. I removed them the second i noticed it. He gets agitated from time to time throughout the day where he darts from side to side then just sinks to the bottom and doesnt move for a really long time. Im just wondering what his condition is and how much longer he has. Just trying to make his passing as comfortable as possible. Every condition ive read doesnt fit at all.
LolasMomma06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #2 
Bladezero

Close to death? Don't think so.. Weak and suffering yes.. (I consider them close to death when its a matter of day or two or when there's nothing to do)
I think untreated he has just abit less then a week..

Now I would love a picture and if you could fill the sticky..

But from what it sounds it some type of parasites..
When you fill off the sticky and add a picture I might be able to pin point which one, but next time don't treat it unless you know what it has.. Wrong antibiotics can do more dmg then good..

Waiting for a update from you
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #3 
ZackyBear

Also try to get some pictures~ Though I should also note that bloodworms should only be fed as treats to bettas :o You could try to slowly get him over to pellets :3
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #4 
LolasMomma06

Yeah i first tried pellets when i first got him. He refused them from day one. I just read a couple of weeks ago that the bloodworms were for treats only. Ive had him since January and all he would eat were the bloodworms. Now he wont even eat those. Oh and his abdomin has a lump. And the lump is turning white on the outside. I think thats what i forgot to mention. And yes is he going to die if he does not eat at all. Its been almost two weeks since he has eaten. He goes up, sniffs the food, acts like he is hungry then just swims back down to the bottom. Ive even offered new food along with the pellets and bloodworms. The shrimp brine and he doesnt eat it either. I will try to get a picture up but i dont have a very good camera.
LolasMomma06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

Try esposm salt treatment. If he isn't eating then maybe something got stuck? :o the Esposm would help clear it~
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote