Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #1 
jennesque

I did a bad thing and rescued a betta... just need to make sure I'm doing this right.

Ok, to start I don't need a lecture about not rescuing a betta. I know my dollars support the abuse. I complained to the store manager and I will be contacting corporate with pictures. This guy was in like an inch of water, if even.. and just terrible, poopy water. Every other betta had twice as much water and their water looked wonderful in comparison. I had to pick him up..

Here's him in his original "tank". Disgusting.

So, here's the thing.. I already purchased a 2.3gal tank (the Deep Blue betta tank that somehow is supposed to store 5 bettas...) and I had planned on planting it and making it a shrimp tank. Revised my plan and now it'll be my betta tank.. I only got the tank about two days ago and I had already purchased a sponge filter which I put in my year old, established 28gal tank to jump start any cycle I can get in my new tank. Because I still want to plant my tank as originally planned (I've got enough invested in it as is..), I've got the betta in one of the critter keepers, only temporarily. I've got one of those tetra heaters in there.. I plan on going to my local LFS to see if they have any decent, smaller heaters and if not I will be ordering one this weekend. I also put some pennywort from my established tank, as well as my marimo balls. I'm thinking it's best to keep the sponge filter running in the established tank for at least a couple more weeks.. the tank won't be ready for a couple weeks anyway, plus there'd be pretty much no swimming room if I put the filter in there too!

Here his is after being in his new tank for about 5 minutes.. I've never owned a betta before, so I may need a bit of help. I believe that's a stress stripe on him. :( I don't really see that anymore on him.. so here's some other pictures I took of him, does he look ok? Anything I should be worried about? The above pic is without a flash and is a better example of his coloring.. these next pictures were all taken with a flash.

I have frozen blood worms I occasionally feed as a treat for my community tank.. They can't eat a whole cube though so I was thinking of defrosting one cube and giving a little bit of it each day to my betta and refreezing it.. and then at 7 days feeding the rest to my community tank? I've also got some frozen brine shrimp my community tank doesn't touch, so I can feed that to the betta as well.. is this a sufficient diet, or should I get some dried betta bites? I know that flake food is a no-go.

I plan on having my tank planted with mosses, microsword, a floating plant (haven't picked yet) and the marimo balls. It'll have the sponge filter and of course a filter. Anything else I will need.. I've also got a lid. I know that's crucial too. I know a 2.3gal isn't ideal for a betta, but I'm not allowed to have any more tanks.. the critter keeper is really pushing it.

Last edited by jennesque; 05-25-2012 at 01:26 AM.
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Don't worry about him. He looks healthy, alert and his fins are in great conditions. He's also colourful, not stressed at all. :)

Sounds like you have a great home planned out for him! I'm the same - I can preach as much as I like about not supporting places with my dollar, but occasionally I see a fish that I cannot leave behind to die and all my good intentions go out the window.

I'd save the bloodworms and brine shrimp for treats and grab some good quality pellets. New Life Spectrum are my favourites, but Attison's Betta Pro is better if you can get it. Hikari is also reputed to be good.

2.3 gallons is absolutely fine for a long-finned betta as long as it is cleaned properly and heated. :) Planted as yours will be, I think it will be a mini-paradise. Certainly a gajillion times better than that scungy, awful little cup. That method of housing bettas in shops ought to be illegal.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #3 
jennesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Don't worry about him. He looks healthy, alert and his fins are in great conditions. He's also colourful, not stressed at all. :)

Sounds like you have a great home planned out for him! I'm the same - I can preach as much as I like about not supporting places with my dollar, but occasionally I see a fish that I cannot leave behind to die and all my good intentions go out the window.

I'd save the bloodworms and brine shrimp for treats and grab some good quality pellets. New Life Spectrum are my favourites, but Attison's Betta Pro is better if you can get it. Hikari is also reputed to be good.

2.3 gallons is absolutely fine for a long-finned betta as long as it is cleaned properly and heated. :) Planted as yours will be, I think it will be a mini-paradise. Certainly a gajillion times better than that scungy, awful little cup. That method of housing bettas in shops ought to be illegal.

Yeah.. I saw this super pretty betta (not that this one isn't pretty) and I almost scooped it up, but I swore I wouldn't buy any betta from any big box stores.. But then I stopped in the fish store to check out their plants and I couldn't leave him behind. The cashier even looked at me weird.. "Are you sure that's the one you want..?" Yes.. it's the one that needs a home the most.

I'm sooo glad to hear he looks healthy. I was a bit worried. He was quick to eat. :) I will go get some betta pellets at my LFS this weekend. I know they have Hikari, but I'll have to look for Attison's or New Life. Also glad to hear the tank will suffice. It'll of course only be him and probably some ghost shrimp.. maybe I'll try some red cherries if I feel like they won't immediately be eaten, haha.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #4 
TheCheese909

The "Are you sure that's the one you want..?" bit really makes me mad. Not that the first picture didn't already, but the fact that they could clearly see that he wasn't being taken care of and then goes on to ask you if you want to take him because of the horrible condition he was living in. Sickening.

I went to WalMart recently and one of their little Bettas's cups was broken and he had about the same amount of water, maybe slightly more. I told one of the employees that was walking by and he took the fish from my hand and said, "Yep, his cup is broken." and put him back on the shelf. I told him he needed to get him something else to put him in so the rest of his water didn't come out and no one notice. He kinda got an attitude about it and said he would have to tell the manager and all kinds of stuff, so I told him I would wait. He left and I waited a few minutes already knowing he wasn't going to do anything about it.

I hung around the area and someone came by to buy a bunch of Koi and once the guy getting the fish was done I told him about this little Betta. I asked him if he could put him in one of the aquariums, since one was empty and he said they weren't allowed to put Bettas in any of the tanks at all. I stressed to him that the water level had gone down even more since I had been there (about 20 minutes) and that I didn't want him to run out of water. What he did was fill one of those little fish bucket/scoop things they fill with water and hang on the side of the tank and he put him in there and back on the shelf.. It's not a perfect thing, but he was in alot more water in that little scoop thing then in that cup- broken cup at that.

This wasn't that long ago, I honestly had thought about just putting him in that empty tank instead of leaving him like that. That's something they need to change, if there is an empty tank and a Betta is in a broken cup, they should be able to place him or her in that tank. It's wrong they just left him like that, who knows how long he was in there or if anyone would have noticed before he ran out of water completely.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Every time I hear a story like this I am just shocked at how they treat their bettas. Of the 7 stores currently open in the city that hold bettas, that I know of, four keep the males in heated barracks with the females or the occasional docile male in calm community tanks. The remaining three aren't so good, but if they can do it, why can't others?
Healthy, active fish are surely more appealing, thus more profitable.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #6 
jennesque

Yeah.. I was pretty upset. Even my LFS keep them in cups, but they are kept clean and actually maintained.. and the cups are a bit bigger than walmart and others. Another crucial thing I like it that they only keep at most 10 bettas (usually 6-8), instead of the like 20-30 that others have so they are sold a lot faster. Petsmarts around me keep the bettas all in these rows of little tanks that are all sharing the same water which let's them get fresh water on a consistent basis. Not sure if it's heated, but they're near lights and other equipment so they shouldn't be too cold. Many of them are house with plants too. :)

And oh yeah... the employee shocked me. She didn't even say it in a caring way, just with an attitude like I am an idiot for picking the fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #7 
ZubinBetta

Hi jennesque, I think rescuing bettas from deplorable conditions is ultimately a good thing: in some sense your $3.99? counts as monetary support of the abusing entity, but for the bettas involved it makes a world of difference. The mindset according to which the fishes are saved is completely different from the profit-focused commercial commodity mindset that leads to the negligence/disregard. In rescuing a betta, as in taking any pet home, you are choosing an individual creature to give it a good life. All of us have limits on how much of this we can do--in our homes and our lives--but within those limits we can perform great good. Being willing to witness such mistreatment and then caring enough to remove the living being from its confinement and torture and untimely death, is profoundly life-affirming, if small-scale. So you are fully entitled to say, "I don't need a lecture about not rescuing a betta. I know my dollars support the abuse." What you did to counteract that abuse is highly significant, especially in the eyes of a certain little blue fish!
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #8 
SamJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
I hung around the area and someone came by to buy a bunch of Koi and once the guy getting the fish was done I told him about this little Betta. I asked him if he could put him in one of the aquariums, since one was empty and he said they weren't allowed to put Bettas in any of the tanks at all. I stressed to him that the water level had gone down even more since I had been there (about 20 minutes) and that I didn't want him to run out of water. What he did was fill one of those little fish bucket/scoop things they fill with water and hang on the side of the tank and he put him in there and back on the shelf.. It's not a perfect thing, but he was in alot more water in that little scoop thing then in that cup- broken cup at that.
Well. I can tell you that's not a corporate rule. My walmart has bettas in all the tanks (except the ones with oscars and puffers and other really agressive types).
And there are always extra cups around (my walmart has like... a stack of ten sitting on their sink)... Dumb walmart employees.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

Thank you for being awesome and taking care him in. I know that nowadays, most people would ignore the fish, or maybe take him in but just leave him to fend for himself, without seeing if he needed any proper care. To know that you are worried about him says a lot about you. :)

It's cool because he looks just like my Buddha, except with a different tail haha

Makes me want to go to my Petsmart and see their fish supply, but they almost always have healthy fish whenever I go there, same with the Walmart. o.O
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #10 
lelei

No..that was a good thing.. most of us would of done the same thing.. I was in petco, and saw a KING betta in the same condition.. and It killed me to have to walk away.. I kept going back..and my daughter tracked down someone to let them know.. to change the water and I at that point asked to have him put in a bigger cup..and all the Kings should definatley be in bigger cups..hate that word..even small long critter keepers..something to give those big guys more room..so You did an awwsum thing..You saved that beautiful fishy's life..congrats..he is beautiful:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote