Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #11 
SageMyster

Oh wow Mo, that is going to be be -really- helpful. Thank you SO much!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #12 
Mo

Your welcome. I'm 12. It's glad to know someone around my age is going to get into the hobby
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #13 
ZubinBetta

That will be an amazing introduction to the world of bettas! I would draw your attention to a couple of concerns, though: 1.She may prefer to choose her own fish; 2.A fish you would have rescued may have suffered terribly in its little cup, so that although you are giving it life, too, that life may be shortened by disease (a "pre-existing condition"); 3.Even knowing about betta abuse is traumatic--it's well worth informing a young lady who cares deeply enough about animals to be an activist, but the knowledge will be painful, too.
I think it's a great idea to do this, but there will be some unavoidable attendant discomfiture, I'm afraid. Please let us know how it goes. Thanks.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #14 
Ramble

It sounds like a wonderful idea! If she's into animal activism, a rescue might be the perfect thing. If you're picking one for her, you could get it a few days before, just to make sure it's stable, and get a few pics for a 'before and after' scrap book. Otherwise, you could go with her and 'rescue' a fish together!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #15 
Cargo

Good idea. Make sure she will stay commited to it.

Make sure you get her a sponge filter. I've had a Marina i25 and Top Fin 10 Power Filter suck up three bettas together. Sponge filters are great, I would recommend using only them. Plus, they're cheap. Heres a link to one for $6, including shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioch...8072299&sr=8-4

EDIT: Make sure she knows not to put another betta in it with, and it can kill tank mates!
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

I want to raise a practical consideration for you. Make sure her parents are agreed to this plan - if you get her a pet and they don't want it, they may make it difficult for her to give it care. They may not be onboard with all the necessary water changes, for instance, because of water bill concerns, or won't want her to have a heater because of electricity bills. They may not get her medication if the fish is sick, or they'll believe what petshops say about their care.

I would definitely make sure you have their approval to give this gift.

If I were her, I'd be thrilled. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #17 
SageMyster

Her parents are in full support of the idea and think she'll be elated, so no worries there. :) They are definitely on-board.
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote