Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #31 
Bombalurina

Just want to mention that ember tetras can be extremely nippy, even amongst their own kind in a large tank. I have a friend who had to get rid of four of hers because they were bullying all the others. The remaining ones live in relative peace, but make sure you have a good female to male ratio to avoid that kind of aggression. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #32 
Yschen

The store where I will buy fish and all the filters and all that only sell tank fish and aquarium utilities. The store owners are quite experienced aswell.

Stocking a larger tank for a male Betta is harder than I thought. Especially finding larger fish that are docile and confident enough to stand up to a potential bully. According to people on forums located through google, a pair of ram cichlids seem like decent tankmates at the moment, this however requires that the betta is pretty docile. I keep returning to the question if there are fish in the ram cichlid size that will go well with a male betta, I'm not overly fond of tetras.

Last edited by Yschen; 05-28-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Yschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #33 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I would not get a pair, at breeding them the fish become too aggressive. One ram could however work out.
I'm more concered over the betta safety actually. :D
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #34 
Yschen

Won't a single cichlid be very lonely, unhappy? I have never seen a single cichlid in a tank so that's why I'm asking.
I'm quite saddened by the fact that the tank just simply might be to big to stock properly taking a male betta into account. I might just start up a male betta with some loach friends in the old cichlid fry tank it's about 14 gallons. While I really would like to have this project work out I don't want to use a really large (expensive) tank and have it underpopulated and looking empty. >_<
Old 05-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #35 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sadly I feel as though you're right. It's natural to think that it would reall appreciate the larger space but there's so many other things to take into thought.
A 53 gallon without betta could work out more, and give you lots of options. With betta you are limited to small fish, because even a larger peaceful fish will take a shot at a smaller fish.
About the rams, I've seen people keep multiple fish in cichlid only/semi aggressive tanks. Lot's of people will keep a lone ram in their community. They are only aggressive during spawning (cichlids love to spawn!) so if you can find 2 females the problem could be avoided.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Olympia; 05-28-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #36 
Yschen

Yeah I think it's for the better. Keeping a smaller separate tank for the betta won't be to hard, and it opens alot more options for what I can keep in the bigger tank! Really appreciate the help and input you guys provided! Thanks alot! :D
Old 05-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #37 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Did you figure out if your pH is stable?
If not you could try looking into large rainbowfish, they do great in high pH.
Otherwise there are lots of fish that have been bred by us so long that they can handle the pH.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #38 
Yschen

Think I'm going for Malawi only for the big tank and a betta and some loaches for the small one. My parents have kept malawis and all other sorts of fish using the citys tapwater so I don't think it's going to be a problem. :)
Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #39 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The water is soft so I would use a substrate of crushed coral/aragonite to boost up the hardness, but the pH is great.
:D
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #40 
Bombalurina

If you still want a betta but prefer more options, a sorority might work out. If girls can tolerate each other, they can tolerate community fish.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote