Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #1 
Bombalurina

Neutering angst again

As you may know, I have 6 rats: Jekyll, Hyde and Darcy, who live together, and Richelieu, D'Artagnan and Willoughby, who live together. Back in the day, everyone except Darcy (I didn't have him then) lived in the same cage, but J&H are old men and needed time away from the boisterous younger rats. Eventually, the living arrangment became permanent, though they still play together happily enough. :)

Then I got Darcy. I neutered him, and he now lives happily with Jekyll and Hyde. However, he's two months younger than them and quite a bit healthier. I would love it if one day he could live with the Pesticles (the younger ones) so he doesn't have to be alone after the older boys pass. Unfortunately, they can't even play together. Darcy is terrified of them, and the Pesticles, as entire males, are pretty keen to assert their dominance. They are all nearly double Darcy's size, too, so I can't blame him for being so scared.

Tomorrow I am going to the vet to chat about neutering them. She does it chemically, with a little contraceptive bar, so it isn't invasive. The operation lasts about a minute and they are only under for maybe two or three. She's the best rat vet I've ever seen and I trust her completely, so I'm not worried about the risk factor. What I am worried about is the guilt factor.

I don't think the neutering will affect Darty much. He's the sweetest and quietest of the three Pests, so the loss of testosterone would simply enhance his perfect personality. Willoughby is a crazy, strange litte rat (he was actually in an asylum for a while, because his mentally ill owner smuggled him in!), but I don't feel like too much of his personality is tied up in his testicles, so I wouldn't feel like it would change him too much. Richelieu, on the other hand, is a naughty, cheeky, charming little squirt, and I feel that a good deal of that comes from his whatsits. I'm worried that if I have him neutered, he will lose his craziness and change into a quiet, dignified creature. I don't want to lose my naughty little Pest. Can anyone assuage my worry?

Also, I feel guilty for taking their manhood away.

Congratulations if you read all that. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #2 
lvandert

psh dont feel bad about taking their man hood away, they dont have manhood in their minds. They just have things down there that itch at times, kinda sounds familiar (looks at bf and giggles). As for being worried I wouldn't be. She obviously sounds like a great rat vet
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #3 
Enkil

I wouldn't worry at all. I've seen dogs and cats get neutered and their personalities stayed the same. It just tends to take away some of the dominant posturing they do.

Don't feel guilty. They don't need what they don't use. XD
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #4 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
psh dont feel bad about taking their man hood away, they dont have manhood in their minds. They just have things down there that itch at times, kinda sounds familiar (looks at bf and giggles). As for being worried I wouldn't be. She obviously sounds like a great rat vet
Just like women have those mindless things that itch too that they have a constant need to use, you know their mouth. Yeah not so funny is it!

I don't tolerate sexist comments.

I don't believe in neutering pets, I think it's cruel. I mean how would you like it if someone cut off something of yours against your will?
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't think an animal is concious about that sort of thing.
Anyways I'd go for it, it may save Darcy a lot of grief later on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Just like women have those mindless things that itch too that they have a constant need to use, you know their mouth. Yeah not so funny is it!

I don't tolerate sexist comments.
I meant it as a joke, not to be sexist at all. I'm not I do assure you, I honestly meant it as a joke to break the worries of sending an animal under. And I meant it more from a rats point of view. I'm assuming (could be wrong) that they don't have a concept of man hood, therefore its just another patch of skin that itches occasionally. The whole look at my bf and giggle was more comparing him to a rat. Sorry I didn't explain it in detial but I was trying to make a funny.

Now if you dont tolerate sexist comments why did you make one?

I'm sorry you took it the wrong way but that doesn't mean you should fire right back. Two wrongs dont make a right.

Last edited by lvandert; 05-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #7 
wolfiegreen

Bomba I understand your concern many pet owners fear neutering pets. But I'd rather have sterile or neutered pets then contribute to adding more that just end up at animal control and die. I work at my local animal shelter and have for a long time the only time I've seen an attitude change was with some of the slightly aggressive dogs like they'd stop fence fighting. The fact that it's chemical neutering makes it safer. If your worried and feel guilty talk to the vet about it they can help you with that :)

The kinetic what you said was incredibly rude! If you couldn't tell it was a joke boo on you, you say you don't like sexist comments yet use them yourself. Real mature your a hypocrit. And you think neuterings cruel? I'd love to see you go up to a local animal control and work with the animals that will more than likely be put down because there just arn't enough homes for them. You know how they put down kittens? They use a heart stick! Don't know what it is look it up.
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's not really a preventing more unwanted pets case.. Slim chance two males will have babies together. It's a dominance thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #9 
wolfiegreen

Second half was for thekinetics rude comments as well as the neutering one. Even if there neuterd they can still show dominance it's usually a personality thing. The personality may alter slightly but unless any of there personalitys come directly from the testosterone there shouldn't be a problem
Posted via Mobile Device
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That's where I'm left confused. Bomba if they have dominant personalities, you want to remove the dominance but not change their personalities?
I still think it's worth a shot. Is two months younger really a huge difference for rats? :o
Posted via Mobile Device