Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #1 
Moby

Unhappy Fish Problems, Please Help

Hi there,

I got my first betta fish in mid Feb. He is in a 2.5L tank and I change the water once per week adding the necessary water treatment formula, etc. Until mid April, he was very active and made large bubblenests consistently. Since mid April I have noticed that his belly is slightly enlarged. As well, he no longer makes any bubble nests and spends almost all his time either lying on the bottom of the tank or up in a corner almost vertically. He used to be very responsive to visitors and flare but now only reponds if disturbed. There is a slighly discoloration to the front part of him, it does not like like velvet disease but there is a barely noticable soemthign on him. I tried using "betta fix" from petsmart but it has not made much of a difference. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for the help!
Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well....we need more info and a pic...

Copy/paste/add this completed questions...the more detailed info the better we can help....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 
Moby

UPDATED INFO:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 L
What temperature is your tank? Room temp
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aquarian Betta Floating Pellet Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets, twice per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance/behavior changed?
Until mid April, he was very active and made large bubble nests consistently. Since mid April I have noticed that his belly is slightly enlarged. As well, he no longer makes any bubble nests and spends almost all his time either lying on the bottom of the tank or up in a corner with fins clamped at a roughly 45 degree angle. He used to be very responsive to visitors and flare but now only responds if disturbed. There is a slight discoloration to the front part of him as there is a barely noticeable powder on him.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 Month Ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Used Betta fix for two weeks with no effect
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought in Mid February
Old 05-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You need to get a thermometer and check your temp....he may just be cold....
Old 05-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 
lelei

Hello, I would also suggest takin some pix.. to see what his belly looks like, and how his eyes look, also, I hear if you do a full water change, it may help..also I use an aerating stone, to add oxygen to the water, and it seems to keep it cleaner and healthier, but a heater is advised, not sure which one for your 2.5 I beleive there is one for that size, and a thermometer to check for temp of water, should be 78-80 degrees..Hope your fishy gets better soon..keep us updated:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #6 
lelei

I just noticed in your post your tank size is 2.5L? how much is that in gallons?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #7 
Ianthe

Do you have any pictures of the tank or fish? How many gallons is 2.5L?
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

The 2.5L is about 0.7gal....good catch...I didn't catch that it was liters and not gallons....In that case...along with checking the water temp to ensure that it is within limits for a tropical fish.....I would recommend that you increase water changes to 3 times a week in that size container....2-50% and 1-100% weekly to maintain water quality-Do you have any live plants.

You may or may not need a heater, however, it could be risky adding a heater to that size container.
You do need a thermometer to monitor the water temp and to monitor the water temp of the replacement water used for water changes.....Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range (24.4C-26.7C)

Along with the enlarged tummy...is he having buoyancy issues too, appetite changes, is he pooping and if so-what does it look like...

A pic would really help....
Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #9 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby View Post
Hi there,

Since mid April I have noticed that his belly is slightly enlarged. There is a slighly discoloration to the front part of him, it does not like like velvet disease but there is a barely noticable soemthign on him. I tried using "betta fix" from petsmart but it has not made much of a difference. !
Bulging bellies and seeing a hollowness down the spine tend to point to internal parasites. Metronidazole is good but is needs to be in the food to get inside. If you are seeing a patch or two of a dense short fuzz he probably has columnaris. That stuff is a bit#h. Some versions kill quick, others just weaken over time. It gets in internal and affects organs and messes up gills as well. I'd get some food with the metro or get the med itself and add a little to thawed blood worms and try to get him to eat that.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #10 
Moby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The 2.5L is about 0.7gal....good catch...I didn't catch that it was liters and not gallons....In that case...along with checking the water temp to ensure that it is within limits for a tropical fish.....I would recommend that you increase water changes to 3 times a week in that size container....2-50% and 1-100% weekly to maintain water quality-Do you have any live plants.

You may or may not need a heater, however, it could be risky adding a heater to that size container.
You do need a thermometer to monitor the water temp and to monitor the water temp of the replacement water used for water changes.....Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range (24.4C-26.7C)

Along with the enlarged tummy...is he having buoyancy issues too, appetite changes, is he pooping and if so-what does it look like...

A pic would really help....
He is not having buoyancy issues and his appetite has stayed consistent. I have tried increasing the frequency of the water changes like you have suggested and it has not changed any of the fishs behaviour. The temperature was below 76F and I will upload a picture shortly