Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #1 
Pacqui

Tetra Whisper cartridge help pls

Hi, my Crescent 5gal came with a Tetra Whisper filter and overall I am very happy with it. My question is about the replacement cartridges. I haven't changed mine out yet, just swishing it in old tank water during water changes. But now it's on it's last leg, pretty much about to fall into pieces.

What options do I have to replace it? I see the biobag replacements but it has carbon and I don't need the carbon. I understand I can just dump it, but that seems to be wasteful to me and I don't want to have to pay just to toss it.

Is there another one that fits in there that doesn't come w/ carbon? Something cheaper would be great, too.

How do I go about replacing the cartridge w/out losing the bacteria and going into a mini cycle?

Thank you!
Pacqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You can use something like this and cut it to fit-this would last a really long time too....
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...31&pcatid=4231

Cut the old sponge away from the old cartridge and rubber band that to it or attach it some how-sometimes you have to get creative-Then keep some of the old sponge in the filter box for a week to help seed the new sponge

If you get a new cartridge you can cut a slit and dump the carbon and save the carbon...it always a good idea to have fresh unused carbon on hand for an emergency......it has saved me more than once....lol......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 05-26-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #3 
Pacqui

Thank you so much! I will take your recommendation. How much of the old filter do I need to seed the new one?
Pacqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

For a 5gal with a single Betta...about half more or less.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote