Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #1 
Duskhorse

Does Size Really Matter?

Everything is going great! My three are getting along remarkably well (Casanova, Opal and Bella) in their tank and thriving happily!
Now, I have a dilemma!
Cass and Opal are showing clear displays of being ready to spawn. There's a nest, and they are showing all stages and signs.
However, poor Cass :C Opal is twice his size! Several times he has attempted an embrace, and simply couldn't fit around her, so he ends up floating around for a bit curled up on himself!

Is this just because he is a newbie at this, and only young, or is it just that Opal is far too big?
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

You have 2 females and one male all in the same tank? All 3 will have to be removed to their own tanks if you end up with a spawn.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 
BeckyFish97

Size will be a key factor in him embracing her, if she is too big, he will be unable to embrace her and will just end up stunning himself.
All newbies struggle with embracing, if she is small enough for him to embrace, he will manage it eventually!!!Pictures would be good so we can see what sizes the fish are!We could help you better then!Also, 2 females and 1 male in the same tank is NOT a great idea, they will need their own seperate tanks (3 of them) if two of them spawn!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 
Mo

Ideally the female should be smaller than the male so he can embrace around her. You don't want a larger female than the male for breeding
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #5 
Curlyfatbottom

your female is just way to big
better to have a larger male
if you don't have a breeding tank then spit them up
will just have some dead female within a week or two
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 
Duskhorse

Thanks guys! I've got the whole plan laid out, no problem there so thanks for the advice! Here's some pics from a couple days ago, yes, terrible lighting xD;

Old 05-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #7 
Mo

Please seperate them. The mix you have doesn't work under any circumstances and should be avoided.

Also. Do you have a 20 gallon grow out tank?
Microwoms, BBS, Walter worms, banana worms, vinegar eels?
A home for each Betta?
Do you know how undesirable VT's are?
Are you aware of jarring males?
How are you going to cull the fish?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #8 
Duskhorse

I know you are a senior member, but can I ask why veiltail's are so shunned? And why doesn't the pairing work?
I'm not intending to be a show quality breeder or anything of the sort. I love my bettas regardless of 'quality'. I'm not going to fork out 20 for a 180HM just because they are rated higher. I picked my fish through picking my favourite, and the one that seemed with the best attitude. Hence why, after 3 nights, 3 fish in a 9 litre tank are completely happy and thriving.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #9 
Mo

The way they are housed is very unhealthy. 2 females and a male shouldn't be housed together in such a small tank for aggression reasons, 3 nights is a very short amount of time. Aggression usually happens in the first few days or as they settle in after 1.5 weeks. And VT's aren't recommended for breeding as there isn't a market for them. Finding quality homes will be very difficult. And with that male, the form. I wouldn't breed him anyways.

Also. Do you have a 20 gallon grow out tank?
Microwoms, BBS, Walter worms, banana worms, vinegar eels?
A home for each Betta?
Do you know the different tail types and identification?
What tail type female do you have?
Are you aware of jarring males?
How are you going to cull the fish?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 
MaisyDawgThirteen

VT are not shunned - they are simply hard to sell. Most people these days want half-moons or crown-tails. Plakats and veiltails are my personal favourites. :)

The pairing does not work because you should only have one male and one female when breeding. With breeding being the exception males and females should NEVER be kept together under ANY circumstances. No ifs and or buts. Females can be kept together safely in groups of at least 5 in a 10 gallon or above tank.

I'm very confused. Was this spawn planned, or is that how they have always been housed?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote