Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #11 
Duskhorse
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Equipment aside for now, what's wrong with his form? Curiosity is going to kill me here as to why Cas is a bad fish :/
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
The way they are housed is very unhealthy. 2 females and a male shouldn't be housed together in such a small tank for aggression reasons, 3 nights is a very short amount of time. Aggression usually happens in the first few days or as they settle in after 1.5 weeks. And VT's aren't recommended for breeding as there isn't a market for them. Finding quality homes will be very difficult. And with that male, the form. I wouldn't breed him anyways.


Also. Do you have a 20 gallon grow out tank?
Microwoms, BBS, Walter worms, banana worms, vinegar eels?
A home for each Betta?
Do you know the different tail types and identification?
What tail type female do you have?
Are you aware of jarring males?
How are you going to cull the fish?
+1

And the rankings usually mean nothing - your ranking is judged by your number of posts. Me and Mo are the same ranking (senior member), but I'm just a newbie (I got my first tank in December) and Mo is very knowledgeable.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #13 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskhorse View Post
Equipment aside for now, what's wrong with his form? Curiosity is going to kill me here as to why Cas is a bad fish :/
No fish is a bad fish. :)

I'm not very knowledgeable on form - but his anal fin looks really long to me.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #14 
Duskhorse
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
MaisyDawgThirteen:
My veiltail is very dear to me <3 I personally love these too!
Also, they weren't always housed this way. I wanted to try my hand at breeding, and Cas and Opal were showing great signs to each other. I haven't really had my question answered; Is Opal too big for Cas? All i've had is that i'm doing it all wrong.
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #15 
Mo
Member
 
Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
The ray branching, and the dorsal fin seem to be his main problems.
Your question has been answered many times. Maybe not clearly though. We've stated that a female larger than the male is not fit for breeding with him. So depicting the situation could be self determined. Whether or not they would be good for breeding and if the female is to large. Of she's bigger than the male, then she is too big

Last edited by Mo; 05-26-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #16 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskhorse View Post
MaisyDawgThirteen:
My veiltail is very dear to me <3 I personally love these too!
Also, they weren't always housed this way. I wanted to try my hand at breeding, and Cas and Opal were showing great signs to each other. I haven't really had my question answered; Is Opal too big for Cas? All i've had is that i'm doing it all wrong.
I'd take the other female out. You should try and get a smaller female for him, or get a larger male for her. If I were you I'd get a good quality HM or HMPK pair from a good breeder. If you look for a good deal you shouldn't have to for out a good deal. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #17 
Duskhorse
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Ah well that is easily explainable;
The store where I bought him from, he had been kept in an inch of water in an open top very, very small glass tank above some other tropical fish tanks. He was cramped, had NO room to swim. This was the day I brought him home; he hadn't stretched his fins fully. Now, it flares with everything else and curves nicely.
Ray branching I assume you mean the end of his tail? Same explanation; he had taken to fin nipping and so the ends of his tail were split. He is doing that less and less now that he's happier.
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #18 
Duskhorse
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I'd take the other female out. You should try and get a smaller female for him, or get a larger male for her. If I were you I'd get a good quality HM or HMPK pair from a good breeder. If you look for a good deal you shouldn't have to for out a good deal. :)
Alright, i'll keep my eye out! Bear in mind, i'm in the UK, and betta fish breeding isn't huge over here :)
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #19 
Mo
Member
 
Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskhorse View Post
Alright, i'll keep my eye out! Bear in mind, i'm in the UK, and betta fish breeding isn't huge over here :)
Since I used to be a regular member of a UK forum. I can point you in the direction of numerous Betta breeders
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #20 
Duskhorse
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Since I used to be a regular member of a UK forum. I can point you in the direction of numerous Betta breeders
That sounds helpful ^_^
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Size Matter? BettaFreakMink Breeding Betta Fish 5 08-14-2011 09:03 AM
To Filter or Not to Filter? Does Size Really Matter? bettabum Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 5 12-29-2010 05:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.