Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #21 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskhorse View Post
Ah well that is easily explainable;
The store where I bought him from, he had been kept in an inch of water in an open top very, very small glass tank above some other tropical fish tanks. He was cramped, had NO room to swim. This was the day I brought him home; he hadn't stretched his fins fully. Now, it flares with everything else and curves nicely.
Ray branching I assume you mean the end of his tail? Same explanation; he had taken to fin nipping and so the ends of his tail were split. He is doing that less and less now that he's happier.
Do you see the little lines on his fins? Those are his rays - Mo is saying that they are un-even. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #22 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskhorse View Post
Ah well that is easily explainable;
The store where I bought him from, he had been kept in an inch of water in an open top very, very small glass tank above some other tropical fish tanks. He was cramped, had NO room to swim. This was the day I brought him home; he hadn't stretched his fins fully. Now, it flares with everything else and curves nicely.
Ray branching I assume you mean the end of his tail? Same explanation; he had taken to fin nipping and so the ends of his tail were split. He is doing that less and less now that he's happier.
The ends of his tail aren't nesecerally ray branching. The lines that split into multiple little lines are considered the branching. Honestly and sorry if I'm being a little blunt. If you don't know what ray branching is. Then you aren't ready to breed.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #23 
Mo

A good example of ray branching. This isn't my picture. I can't credit the original resource as it ws from another forum. The promotion of other competing forums is against the rules

Old 05-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #24 
Duskhorse

Ah, okay ^_^ Thanks for letting me know. I guess I learn something new everyday. But, like I said; i'm not intending on being a show breeder. I don't have to know every term to be able to breed. My mum breeds (successfully) tropical fish (Angelfish mainly), but hadn't a clue what ray branching meant.
I came for advice; i got it. Even if Cas did take a bashing on the way there.
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #25 
Mo

Trust me on this one. It is very hard to find a good formed veiltail for breeding because of there "mutt" status in the betta world and how they are over bred. I love them personally. But many people don't like them and don't dedicate a breeding program towards them. While they would do so for PK's or HM's. So please don't feel bad. A VT can be very beneficial in a line though. It'll add length to the fins.

Your fish is beautiful!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #26 
MaisyDawgThirteen

It wasn't a bashing. It was me + Mo commenting on the form of your betta.

You keep on saying you don't intend on being a show breeder, but that is no excuse not to know about basic things like ray branching are . . .
Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #27 
Mo

Maisy I agree. The basics are needed to be known. No matter what type of breeder you are. Breeding for a pet store. Breeding for quality, etc. you need to know the basics. Do you even know the diet of baby Betta fry, how to raise them, and when to seperate them?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #28 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Keep in mind that we only want to help you - we are not here to say "YOUR FISH IS BAD!!!!!!!!!!! UGLY UGLY UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!". lol
Old 05-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #29 
Enkil

As has been said, she is just too big for him. He wont be able to properly embrace her. Without a proper embrace, the eggs will not be fertilized.

Also, I must agree with some other things that have been said.
You should do some research. You should not have two females and a male housed together. They should each have their own space. If you have separate tanks for them and have only put them together for breeding, you should only have 1 male and 1 female in the tank.
Do you have the necessary foods for the fry? Proper space for growout?

Your male is lovely, but as has been said.. His ray branching isn't very good.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #30 
Duskhorse

Diet:
Very small live foods. I.e. not blood worms

Seperate:
When the males begin to show signs of fighting/the females show signs of fighting

Raising: Is a long process, time consuming too. There are lots of steps that need to be followed etc etc

I understand, and I am grateful, honestly! I appreciate how frustrating it could be to deal with someone like me. I will do my research and make sure my betta are happy :3
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote