Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 
Atena

first ich, now fungus.

Guppy has been out of last water treatment for abaut a week, I just found a fungus spot on his tail. He is not eating and just sits under his rock bridge.

I read the treatment is AQ salt, is it safe to put him back on salt so soon after taking him off it?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #2 
Atena

I added new water, lower level so it is easier for him to swim up for air and added the filter. hopefully this will help. I am not sure it is safe to put him back on salt.

Also, lowered the temperature. And added some stress coat.

I will have to see how he is in the morning.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

Oh Atena sorry. Should be 10 days between salt treatment.
Good that you lower the temperature. How you know that it fungus not parasites?

Don't need filter. Put him in the hospital tank and do100% every day.
Can you post picture to see the white spot on the tail?
When did you finish his treatment?
It just i read that you always need to wait after treatment and see if parasites can come back.
I am afraid it can be parasites. With fungus it usually white fuzzy,cottony like patches.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-27-2012 at 01:48 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

Atena i just spoke to Sena. You probobly know her from the post that you had about Guppy when you treated him with instractions i gave you.

Now i will put for you my message to her and her response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123
I don't know if you remember Atena. I think you was in that post when i gave her instructions to threat her betta for ich.

So he wet through the treatment , his body cleared . He was fine and eating and active.
Now she put post that he stopped eating and lethargic and has white spot on his head. She think it fungus. I think parasites came back.

Do you want to look the thread or
Do you know what to do if it parasites again(external).
I know you can use aq salt again after 10 days brake period.
Should she use medications for ich .
Or can water changes help (100% daily) then use salt and medications again?
Water changes for now, watch the spot. if the spot grows it is fungal, if the spot disappears good, if there are more spots treat again.

People tend to treat until they don't SEE white spots. The white spots, are only the ones who've latched on and does not include the ones breeding and free swimming and hatching in the water/rocks. When I treat for ich I go for 3 days AFTER the ich disappeared, treating as if there were ich still there, since we cannot see the free swimming ones.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

don't need to disinfect. The salt treatment SHOULD dehydrate all free swimming, which is why the full 10-14 days is recommended because it'll get rid of them. Ich is actually a common parasite that is DORMANT in tanks, but when a fish's immune system is down, the ich attacks. Which is why having a heater is recommended to keep it at 78 or higher.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Take out everything from the tank. You don't really need to do any disinfection. Just let it dry out really good wash it with hot water first. Leave it outside like you did before.

Do 100% water changes every day. Watch the spot. I don't know but i don't think it fungus. Give update. See what happen with spot. It will let us understand if it fungus or parasite.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #7 
Atena

The tail spot is gone, now the tail is just torn, but the color is back to normal. He is more active today but having trouble eating. It is like he can't really see the foot and he just bites many times over and over until he finally get it.

It took him 10 minutes to eat what he would normally eat in just one. But at least he is eating.

The filter is very baffled on the intake with extra sponges and on the outtake, burried under gravel with an aquarium sponge to cover it. there is no current. Minimal movement to the water and he can just float when he wants.

He keeps bumping his head on his leaf hammock, again looks like he can't really see it. His eyes look fine though. He will also try to bite at airbubble on the surface if one forms, like he thinks it is food.

I dimmed the aquarium lights by putting some electric tape over 80% of the LED's to see if maybe they were too bright for him. Maybe I should open some of them back up?

I found a high level PH test and I tested my tap water, it has a PH of 8.8. I did use the PH down to bring it down to 7.6. I am looking for peat moss, but all my local garden stores have it only with fertilizer, so I am going to look for it online.

The water has been crystal clear since the filter went in, so I am glad about that, the white cloudiness seems to be cleared up. But I am still doing daily water changes. I changed to Prime water conditioner as suggested by someone earlier as I heard it is more effective at removing amonia in the tap water.

He is more active, swimming around more, but still not himself. I am hoping his tail will just heal and that will be the end of it. I hope his vision returns to normal too, but now I don't know what to do except provide clean water.

It was very hard to take a picture of the spot, it is not ich as it is a very different spot. This is the best photo I was able to get.

Oh, BTW, the spot was on his tail fin, not on his head. the rest of his body looks clear and clean.

The tail:

Close up:

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do?

Last edited by Atena; 05-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Definitely do daily water changes. Rinse the gravel all the time when you do it. You saying it not parasites since spot was different. But i think parasite can be different types and look differently. What you do when you change the water you manually remove them if they fall ....
I never had issue with Ph but i also read that it helps with it.
I would keep deem light and definitely turn it off at night. Parasite like light and can reproduce .....

I know from Oldfishlady that fresh crashed garlic helps with internal and external parasites. So if he is eating may be try to soak pellets in it. I know Oldfishlady feed her bettas with homemade food. I did it once long time ago.

I text ed Sena again about you . I also ask about filter. I am probably just don't understant since i don't have filter. I don't know anything about it. But in my imagination if it under the ground and if there any ich left it will bring it up. Like it suck water under the gravel and let it in the water. I don't know i am probably don't make sense. But i texted Sena again and ask some questions ...

Oh good luck . I was glad that everything fine and now again...:(

Also sorry but i would really take out the plant again and do what you did before. Since plant can keep bacteria, fungus and parasites.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #9 
Atena

the intake of the filter is in the tank above the gravel, the outflow connected to a long tube that sends it to the gravel on the other end of the tank. Since the current is so low I thought that would be better to help circulate the water, if I have outflow over the filter it would be cycling the same water over and over. Like this some movement is created, keeping the water from becoming stagnant.

I noticed when I had no filter and used the ich medication that the water formed still layers, where the medicine would all condense about 3 inches from the top in a layer about half an inch thick. I could tell because the medication had a strong blue color. I would every now and then go by and stir the water to mix the layers. I imagine that the different chemicals would be layering in the same way which would create stagnant water very fast with no movement and this is what kept the bacteria bloom thriving. with even the tiniest bit of flow the layers cannot form.

Thank you so much Anhel for all your help, you have been with us from day one and I really appreciate it. One day soon, I will get this right and it will be in great part thanks to you.

So far he is a little more active. I am making sure to turn the light off every evening at 8pm. My house is very dark so no light will keep him thinking it is just perpetual night. But I am keeping the lights dimmed as you suggested.

I hope he eats better tomorrow, I don't understand his weird behavior.

His tail is not showing signs of tail rot, even though part of it is missing. The edges are not black or red. Though his side fins (the arms) seem a little more transparent then they used to be so I hope they are not next to get infected. :(
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

May be i am wrong again. I would not want the same water circulate if it some kind of problem. Especially if it external parasites or even fungus or something else. For example if something fell from the fish, no matter is it fungus or parasites you want it to stay on the bottom and not travel in the tank. And then you remove it when you change the water.

I did ask Sena about filter and i am waiting for response. I hope other people can write what is right. But somehow i don't like the filter when you don't know what is going on. I really would not use it.

Did you use filter when you treated him with aq salt for parasites? How long you treated him:)

He didn't eat at all?