Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #21 
Tazo

Thank you for clarifying the timeline! Part of this whole thing is that we don't really know what you've done/what you haven't done. I honestly thought you'd been doing a lot more than that, because I know there's been some take out your decor/don't take out your decor/use your filter/don't use your filter.
Honestly, I'm not trying to say you did anything to him on purpose. The PH down just seems like a very likely culprit in his newest issues, and I was only trying to let you know what it can do :/. There's no way you could have guessed, and you are right that it's MUCH better than a dead fish.
You can probably keep using it, honestly. Just next time... don't do it suddenly. PH changes are one of the most stressful things for a fish. If you have a cup/bag to float him in, next time you change the water put him in that and float it in the tank once you have the PH where you want it. You might have to float him for up to an hour or two depending on how much you're changing the PH (really with as drastic a change as over a point, you'd have to float him for a while...). Every ten-fifteen minutes or so add a little bit of tank water to the water in the cup/bag. This will acclimate him to any chemical changes slowly.
Basically, if you want to use the chemical... go ahead, but don't add it directly to water that Guppy is currently in!

As for the filter, I really have nothing against them. I would still be using mine, except Indy was trying to jump in the baffle and tore his fins . I'm pretty sure ich bacteria is nigh impossible to get rid of completely from water, so I don't think it matters in that regard? As long as his immune response is fine he shouldn't get it again. Stress Coat is a great idea, because it replenishes his slime coat, his natural defense against ich.
The one thing the filter /will/ do, though, is start cycling the tank. So if you want a cycled tank, read all the guides on here about it. It's really difficult to hold a cycle in a 2.5. The filter will also help keep the water clean, but... I think it's mostly a matter of preference.

Pure distilled water /is/ bad for your fish because it has no buffers against chemical changes. However, mixed with tap water it is fine for your fish. If your water is always naturally 8.8, though, it won't do very much in terms of lowering the PH, I don't think :/. 8.8 is really super high for tap water! You can try it, though. Basically fill your tank up with a mix of 25%-50% distilled water and 50%-75% tap water.

You haven't made him blind! Basically ions were restricted from flowing in his eyes from the sudden change. Given time he should adapt and become normal again. It was the suddenness of the drop, not the change itself, that would have done this. That's why you have to do it slowly - otherwise that'll happen. He should go back to normal, it'll take a while though.
You're just trying to do your best by your fish, I know. So far you've done a great job of taking care of him, and I'm sure he appreciates it.

Yeah, ammonia will still show on tests when you use Prime. It's been converted into another chemical that isn't toxic, though.

Anhel wasn't saying you shouldn't change the water for 3 days, they were saying you should. Definitely do! Clean water is one of the best things for him now. I would say just acclimate him slowly and carefully every time you do a water change from now on... and hopefully that'll help.
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #22 
Atena

Thank you Tazo,

I will try the distilled water (in a separate cup) to see how it acts and use that instead of the chemical if I can - it sounds better to me than the chemical, it really was just my only option at the time.

Until I can get some proper peat moss to treat the water with. I have read that distilled water does work but it is unstable, a lot like the chemical. I need a stable solution and that is the only one I have found so far that is natural.

I will change his water tonight after work. I test the parameters in his tank before I do the change and try to match the new water to the old, but this morning the PH test shows 6.8 - so it continues to drop in the tank, which is worrisome. I will adjust it slowly with he method you suggested.

I can see now that unstable means. :\

You have made my day by explaining his vision problem, it gives me hope.

Someone mentioned that the high PH might be due to our water source here in Miami which is lots and lots of limestone since we're all sitting on big rock essentially.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #23 
BETTACHKALOVE

I am glad he feels better !
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #24 
ANHEL123

I am glad he is better. Tazo thank you for all explanation i wouldn't able to do it lol I learning too. I am glad that you saw the thread.
Atena I hope he will finally settle down so you can enjoy him and relax. You are doing such a wonderful job :)

Sorry if i confused anyone. I learned something about Ph also. I actually never check my water. It just i am lucky or something i never have problem....i even afraid to check...

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #25 
Atena

Oh boy, I hope so too Anhel, you have been there every step of the way from day 6 or 7. Now, just over a month later I would just like him to swim, and eat and poop and flare and do all the things that bettas do and as you said, relax and enjoy him a bit.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #26 
Atena

water change was slow but good. I had success using the distilled water. I was able to lower my water PH to 7.2, which actually ended up being an increase from the 6.8 in his tank. I feel very comfortable at 7.2 and hope we can remain there.

I ended up having to use a 50/50 distilled and tap water mix. I still used prime and stress coat.

after taking 1.5 hours to slowly adjust from one to the other, Guppy is settling in for the night.

He did not eat as well tonight as he did this morning, but was still pretty active. I am hoping this new water will help him adjust better. I will be keeping it up untill my almond leaves get here. I heard the fish like them a lot and they lower PH - I think this will be a great solution since I am not able to find the right peat moss (yet). So this will be my next and hopefully final adjustment.

And I will be sure to do it very, very slowly.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #27 
Atena

Water test this morning shows 6.6. it is a large drop from last nights 7.2. I hope it stabilizes at this level.

Guppy is happy this morning and his vision is better, he was able to find all his food today without hesitation (ate like a madfish!).

Right now I feel like I don't want to do a thing, just hold my breath and hope this is it for the drama.

I will probably not do a water change tonight if he is still happy and the water tests fine when I get home from work.

I would rather prepare the water and let it stand and stabalize in the other tank. Though the "leftover" water has not changed parameters, so i think it might be the gravel or the filter that is helping to lower ph. Everything in his tank is artificial so I don't know what the culprit is. Just the nature of the water I guess. I am still learning.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

relative I google try to see how peat moss looks like. Cannot imagine how it will be in the tank. Especially if you going to use filter. It will fly all over in the tank? I got confused when i saw the picture...

Are you sure it safe to use it?

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-30-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #29 
Atena

First, you would keep it in a mesh bag, second, you would treat the water prior to adding it to the tank. I think. :\
Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

I guess wait until someone who did it give you advice :)
I am wondering , when you treated him with medications and salt he was happy. So did those medications lowered ph. How come he was fine when you treated him and now you have problem with ph.

I understood that medications can change ph but i though it will make it higher ...