Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #1 
amynuss

Getting a new tank for my fish

Hi All!

So it's been about 2 months since I bought my first betta, Tully. Here in Queensland the temperature has been dropping quite quickly (especially in our part of the house) and I'm getting quite worried about Tully in his tiny, unheated tank. I've been meaning to buy him a new tank for a while but have been restricted by money. Now, with the temperature drop, I want to get onto it straight away!

So, I've been looking online and am thinking of buying these things:
- Blue Planet 20L tank. I'm pretty sure this comes with a filter too. https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/b...arium-20l.html
- Eheim Jäger 25w heater. I'm a bit concerned about the size of this. The tank specs says its 25cm tall, this heater is 23cm tall. It that too big for the tank? https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/e...um-heater.html
If so, I'll probably get this heater instead: https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/h...eater-25w.html

I'll also buy a water testing kit and thermometer. Is there anything else I need?

I have a couple of other questions too... Should I be cycling his tank before popping him in? Can I put live plants or any tank mates in with him in this size tank? Is sand or gravel better? And how do I clean the gravel/sand, seeing as I doubt I'll be able to pick up this tank and swirl the gravel around to clean it liked currently do!!

Thanks for all your help guys!
amynuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #2 
Micho

The first heater will fit in your tank, just turn it sideways, since it's fully submersible, I have three of the the 25w mini Elite heaters, 2 of them are placed sideways because they wouldn't fit in the tank otherwise. I think you got everything that you need listed. :)

Yes you'll be able to cycle the tank, as for live plants you'll need to upgrade the light, most likely unless you're aiming for all low-light plants. Find a bulb that'll fit in the socket, preferably a 10w 6500k fluorescent bulb, but a bulbs that have a spectrum between 5000k ~ 7000k would work as well.

Tankmates you could house one snail or several shrimps. No fish friends. I prefer sand over gravel, looks better in my opinion. To clean gravel or sand pick up a gravel vacuum, it'll also act like a siphon to siphon the water in and out during water changes.

Hope that helps! :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Hi from the south! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amynuss View Post
Hi All!

So it's been about 2 months since I bought my first betta, Tully. Here in Queensland the temperature has been dropping quite quickly (especially in our part of the house) and I'm getting quite worried about Tully in his tiny, unheated tank. I've been meaning to buy him a new tank for a while but have been restricted by money. Now, with the temperature drop, I want to get onto it straight away!

So, I've been looking online and am thinking of buying these things:
- Blue Planet 20L tank. I'm pretty sure this comes with a filter too. https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/b...arium-20l.html
This is a really good tank for a long-tailed male. The length of it gives great horizontal space for exploring and the like. :) The filter is also really good, and when adjusted to its gentlest setting, doesn't bother a betta at all. :) Just be careful to only use the bulb they supply - the housing for it is really low-quality and will fall apart otherwise. Still, the bulb isn't bad and grows low-light plants well enough. :)
- Eheim Jäger 25w heater. I'm a bit concerned about the size of this. The tank specs says its 25cm tall, this heater is 23cm tall. It that too big for the tank? https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/e...um-heater.html
If so, I'll probably get this heater instead: https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/h...eater-25w.html
I'm not familiar with either of these two. I will recommend the AquaOne submersible heater. All my heaters bar one are AquaOne and work excellently. I've never had a problem with them. :)

I'll also buy a water testing kit and thermometer. Is there anything else I need?
Water conditioner? I'm guessing you have some already, but if not, go for Prime. :) Make sure the thermometer you get is a glass one that goes inside the tank, not one of those sticky strips for the outside. They are far less accurate.

I have a couple of other questions too... Should I be cycling his tank before popping him in?
It's a good idea, but it depends on his current conditions. If they really suck, a fish-in cycle might be a better option. That's up to you. :)
Can I put live plants or any tank mates in with him in this size tank?
A tank is never too large or small for live plants. :) In 20 litre (the same as the one you are getting - I also have the hexy) I have a bunch of hornwort, subwassertang, a piece of driftwood with java moss and anubias, more java moss loose, a small sword and two java ferns.
As for tankmates, Micho is right. I'd suggest shrimp, since we can't get decent snails out here. I have a breeding colony of red cherry shrimp in mine. :)
Is sand or gravel better?
Depends what look you want. I love the look of sand (very clean and 'zen') but gravel is definitely easier for me to look after. I have both, but I also have a tank with Indian Almond Leaves for substrate, and one with black candle-holder sand.
And how do I clean the gravel/sand, seeing as I doubt I'll be able to pick up this tank and swirl the gravel around to clean it liked currently do!!
For sand: if you have a gravel vacuum, which I strongly recommend getting (AquaOne do a good one), hover the vacuum over the sand to pick up any visible dirt. It's also a good idea to stir the sand weekly or fortnightly, to prevent the development of gas pockets. Alternatively, Malaysian Trumpet snails will stir it up for you. :)
For gravel: just dig the gravel vacuum into the gravel and lift it out again slowly. It will lift some of the gravel up and 'clean' it. Just repeat this all over the tank. :)

Thanks for all your help guys!
Hope this helps! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #4 
amynuss

Thanks for the feedback guys! I've ordered the tank, water testing kit and thermometer for now. There's a PetSmart quite close that should sell the Aquaone heater and gravel vac so I'll buy those during the week.

Yep, I have Prime already: I bought it today and man is it concentrated compared to the betta basics!!

I'll investigate snails and shrimp while I wait for my tank to arrive.

Ideally I'd prefer to do a fishless cycle as I've never cycled before and I'm scared to hurt the little guy, but the bowl he's in is completely unheated and given that I feel very cold every night I can't imagine how he feels! So probably better to cycle with Tully in.

I'll investigate plants and sand as well. I do prefer the look of sand and would like to get away from the bright pink gravel I currently have! :P

Thanks again guys, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #5 
Kim

Just wanted to add that you could always float his current tank (or any container that would fit) in the new tank while you do a fishless cycle. That way he gets heat but his water is separate so you don't have to worry about toxicity while cycling. I did this when I got an unexpected new arrival one time and it worked just fine ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Unfortunately, Kim, the way it's set up there isn't much room. The tank is only 6 inches or so front to back, and the filter, which is a wet-dry trickle filter, takes up most of that room.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #7 
amynuss

Hey guys. So after a bit of thought, I bought a 10w heater for Tully's bowl so that I can do a fishless cycle on the 20L. I'm too chicken to do a fish-in cycle!

My LFS didn't have any heaters less than 25w and the girl I spoke to tried to sell me a 1w heater that I "might" be able to attach to the outside of the glass. Originally, she recommended putting it under the tank, but because the bowl is shaped like a massive brandy glass, that wouldn't have worked. She was under the impression that there weren't even any submersible heaters available for less than 25w! So I just bought a Marina 10w heater online, which should get here by either Monday or Tuesday. Still waiting on my 20L tank to arrive, but it could take up to another week to get here.

As I said, I want to have a planted tank. When I get my tank, should I be cycling it with plants in, or should I wait till it's cycled to put the plants in? I plan on doing the shrimp cycling method (shrimp in a stocking).

I also picked up some freeze-dried bloodworms from the LFS. Going to try and train Tully to jump for them (only once I've got him in the larger tank with hood!).

Getting very excited about all this. Luckily, my partner is happy to put up with me! He thinks it's quite funny