Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 
Sheldon31

Fishy foot spas...yay or nay..

Hope it's ok I post this here..

On a group I am admin for (It's a fish life UK) someone has asked us all to sign a petition against the popular fishy food spas. It's when you put your feet in the tank of fish and they eat the dead skin. Never been up for it myself but just wondering if it's something I should repost and sign or should I remove it? I believe she's a member of an animal rights group judging by a few comments she's made that have been removed previously and we encourage friendly chat about fish on our page and don't want it turning into a riot.. My fellow admins want it taken down but are doing some research into the legitimacy of the claims that it's cruel to the fish.

What do you guys think...
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think it can be cruel, as most places treat the fish badly... There usually is no good washing done, people just put their dirty feet in, some probably have creams on their feet for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #3 
ab420

That's very odd, I've never heard of that before...
ab420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #4 
ZackyBear

I have heard about it. Some of the spas are really meant for people with some sort of skin condition and the fish eating away the dead skin helps with it. As opposed to going to a hospital to get it scrubbed off painfully.

But that was years ago when I heard about it on TV.

Last edited by ZackyBear; 05-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #5 
Micho

This is very popular in Asia. . .

I'm pretty sure the fish are kept in somewhat good condition, or they would have to keep re-stocking on these fish and losing in money in the long run. But I could be wrong.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

From what I've heard the fish naturally feed on the dead skin, rather than being trained to do it, and if they didn't want to do it then they just wouldn't!I also know that in the UK there is some sort of rules about how many times a week individual fish can carry out the task, yes some people might have creams on their fish but I'm sure that the people in charge would have to make sure that the feet were clean before having them in the fish tub/tank!As for the conditions, from what I have seen of them in shopping centres the conditions they are kept in at that paticular place are impeccable!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #7 
Sheldon31

The other admins took it down I think. I can't find it anyway. I'm a new admin so I don't really make the decisions. My local fish salon is pretty good. They ask people not to use creams on their feet within 24 hours of cming in. (I go in for my eyebrows done occasionally). She links to a report where apparently it's cruelty because the fish don't naturally feed off skin but I've seen them in the wild and people go there (malaysia I think) to see these fish and dip their feet in. It's a big tourist attraction I believe. RSPCA want to crack down on it apparently. Yet they still think that dogs with food water and shelter is enough reason to leave them in abusive home...
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It IS natural.. They are cleaner fish (cleaner wrasse specifically I think..).
In the wild it's actually quite a similar situation.. They run their own cleaning stations in reefs.. Large predator fish like groupers know where the cleaner wrasse "nests" are and go there on purpose.. They stand (float) very still, mouths open. The little wrasse will go all over the body picking off parasites and dead flesh, even swimming into the mouth of the large fish.. They never get eaten. It's quite awesome to watch. Both fish win.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I'd be worried about squishing the little fishies accidentally, I Can be quite ticklish.

I wouldn't mind trying it, but it's a foreign concept here.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #10 
BeckyFish97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
It IS natural.. They are cleaner fish (cleaner wrasse specifically I think..).
In the wild it's actually quite a similar situation.. They run their own cleaning stations in reefs.. Large predator fish like groupers know where the cleaner wrasse "nests" are and go there on purpose.. They stand (float) very still, mouths open. The little wrasse will go all over the body picking off parasites and dead flesh, even swimming into the mouth of the large fish.. They never get eaten. It's quite awesome to watch. Both fish win.
Posted via Mobile Device
Now that...is just...AWESOME!!!Sorry...I get easily overexcited :P
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote