Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question about cloudy eyes?

So, my Dianne I got from the store she initially had eyes that were...well...off.They seemed cloudy. The pupil is not as black as it should be, and the rest of both her eyes is a milky white/grey color, similar to that of a betta going blind.

I am curious, what causes this?

Also, what should I be looking out for, with her, any precautions, and is there a chance she will actually go blind?

It's very hard to see in the pictures what I mean, but looking at any of my fish their eyes are blue, black, or sometimes the same color as their body, or even a maroon color. Not...this.

She tends to focus more on something, and doesn't notice me as fast as the other gals. Some of her food often goes missed when it is sinking, compared to say...LaLa or Misteltoe.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 
Bladezero

Her eyes look swollen or sunken?

Cloudy eye can be caused by many reasons.. Some can blind the fish, some will blind him..
Most can be treated :)
Any change since you got her?
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Not much of a change other than I've noticed her eyes have gotten slightly more cloudy.. I tend to watch my fish carefully for the smallest changes

Dianne wasn't as bad as Misteltoe for sulking, she's gotten a darker body and redder fins, and was very responsive in the store. Her eyes do not look sunken nor swollen, luckily.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #4 
Bladezero

I'm guessing water parameters are perfect and clean with a setup tank.
So it's 95% bacterial infection IMO, that or lack of vitamin A(doubt its that).

The last option is Internal parasites, but usually there is others symptoms to them so doubt its that.

I have no idea if its Neg or Pos bacteria but I think a broad spectrum that attacks both should do the trick combined with warm clean water ofcorse :)
Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Alright lol. She...was the one in a cup/bowl for 2 weeks. Misteltoe was in a tank, and LaLa was in with ich-infested tetras (and she didnt get ich)... So it is very possible about the water being bad for her. I do have her in a 1 gallon quarantine, but I constantly clean my tanks/bowls according to their size. I was wanting to have everyone together as a sorority, but if she does end up blind I won't do that to her.
I've never heard of the lack of vitamin A? But I will mention she's a wholesaler's betta, and from the same store I've gotten the blues with the same disease (different times), mal-nutritioned bettas, rotted bettas, columnaris bettas... (which for me it's my job :) )
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 
Bladezero

Warm clean water might be enough for her to recover, just float her bowl in the tank :)

Like I said I doubt it, but yea you'll never know with LPS betta :P

If it was mine I'd treat with a weak broad-spectrum antibiotics and float her to keep her temp at 82f :)

Your job? That I gotta hear, maybe you found me a career :P
Old 05-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

haha I made it my job.
I rescue betta fish, usually getting them from "I'm gonna flush" owners and "ehh it's going to die anyways get rid of it for me!" pet stores. Truthfully, I could so easily have gotten this store put out of business with a health inspection, but I didn't because I respect the owner, NOT the employee. I've got like...three 10s, three 20s (one long), one 40, one 80... plus numerous under 5 gallons!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #8 
Bladezero

How do you make money off it? Rent ain't free :P
Great thing your doing :)

lol my betta tribe is small in comparison, got only 8(2 females and one to small to tell yet) bettas :P
Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

most of the "near death" bettas like Blue (who did pass away to the columnaris and mystery disease combined!) are free :p I ask the store owner, and he usually doesn't care. he won't sell sick fish anyways - no one wants them! So I take them xD Then about 5 dollars send them out to new homes.

Yeah I have..... .... ... I'm not counting many bettas. there. :p
Old 05-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #10 
Bladezero

Keep on doing it, your doing a great thing :)

Hope this little one makes a full recovery :)