Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #1 
lisaloo

boy am I glad I found this site!

We just purchased a baby Betta a week ago at Petco, and do they give the wrong info! We are in love with our little fish and are surprised to find out we were not feeding him/her enough. This makes me so angry! And what we were told about the small tank.. oooh boy. I am surely going to say something when I go back to purchase food.

Last edited by lisaloo; 06-02-2012 at 05:33 PM.
lisaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Welcome! Yes, those pet shops do not give good info.

here is a site if you get the chance to look at it:

http://www.Bettatalk.com
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 
lisaloo

thank you. Any suggestions on a tank?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

a 5 gallon tank with a sponge filter and a heater along with some real or fake silk plants is one of the BEST setups for Bettas.

You would cycle the tank, and then clean your tank once a week after the cycle with a gravel vacuum(siphon).

this was just a brief overview of a setup, if you need a more detailed one i would be happy to help :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 
a123andpoof

Any tank 1 gallon and up is best with many saying 2 gallon min. I say 1 gallon but it depends on the person and your time. A 5 gallon is convinient as once cycled it only needs around 1 water change a week. Anything smaller needs 1 50% and 1 100% each week.
A heater is must. No if ands or buts.
Anything under 5 gallons does not need a filter as they cannot hold a cycle.
Any decor that is not sharp is fine. Silk and live plants are best, but some plastic is fine to. Take a panyhose and run it over the plant if it snags it could snag your fishes fins.
Enjoy your new guy and welcome to the site!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 
nel3

@MRBF: i dont mean to antagonise you much but some of the info on that bettatalk isnt the best. a betta can eat alot more than 4 pellets within 5 minutes, constant AQ salt opon each WC will be detrimental. ive never tried cubed food but mine have shown no particular preferences on food. they dont recommend heaters for tanks under 5g and warn a 25w heater would overheat 2-3g tanks.

quote from site:(weekly full water changes on jars of 1/2 gal and up). 1/2 gal wc should be 100% everyday. there are some good points on that site but some aren't as frequent as they should be.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 
lelei

Hello, and Welcome to the wonderful world of being a betta Mommy..and yes, this site is great!! You will learn a lot about betta's and what to do to give them the best life possible:)

When we first got our betta, Sammy.. I upgraded the standard size bowl, to a critter keeper, to a 3 gal tank, because I was unaware of what a betta's needs are.. (Sammy is my daughter's fish) but I already take care of him all the time..

I give him Haikari Gold micro pellets, according to feeding dir. and he has a Tetra 2/10 heater and the temp is a consistant 78d.

And don't forget to add a thermometer to watch the temp to see if it's a 78-80deg. (which it should be)

And I have a combo of Silk and one Live plant..and a place to hide away..to rest and sleep.. and of course some gravel, and overlying stones, for decor..

And yes, you will want to invest in a good Gravel Siphon for Vaccuming..Hope this helps..
Glad to have you here..Can't wait to see pix of your baby soon:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #8 
lisaloo

Ok I need to know how much and how often to feed the baby fish! My husband went back to the store and got a totally DIFFERENT answer. We have the micro pellets! PLEASE HELP
Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #9 
lelei

For a baby fishy..not sure..it does say on the pkg..3 pellets 3x a day..right? but I remember something about depending on size of your betta..hmm I really am not sure..I'd start with 2 and do that 3x a day, but double check with the pro's on here..you may have to PM someone to do that tho.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #10 
balbrt1

I got my VT, Poncho at a Petco. They handout they gave me said of all things, Feed every 2 or 3 days! Good thing I had a betta before and knew that was wrong. Also said a small bowl/glass was good to house them in. No wonder so many bettas die. Glad to see you here so now you know how to take good care of your new little one..:)
balbrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote