Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #11 
lvandert

Ok so I found a cage for 50 bucks! I think it was a steal of a deal. It's 41.4"L x 17.5"W x 26"H It's got bout a 5 inch solid plastic bottom in it with the bottom 3 sectioned off by a grate to keep the bunny out of his poo. It's got really nice black wire cage on top with 2 doors, but the top completely opens. It had a thick frame that allows it to sit on the ground pretty dang level/sturdy.
It currently has a ramp and a small second level but the ramp has been chewed up. Their also made of plastic. I plan on trashing those and making a new ramp and second level (out of wood) that goes across most of the cage. It also housed a wild bunny so I am going to clean it with a bleach solution today. The lady gave me a water bottle and food dish but I think I'll just toss those as well, both are plastic and I don't want to risk anything.
So what do you think? Did I do good for the cage part?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #12 
Twilight Storm

Such a sweet gift for your boyfriend!! If the breeder sends you a picture you should post it here. :) I am not sure what kind of rabbits my aunt had before she passed away but they would sit under the furniture and growl like dogs at you if you got too close!!! :)

Just make sure he wants the responsibility of taking care of an animal right now so there are no hard feelings he might hide because he would be afraid to hurt your feelings. I only bring this up because recently someone's boyfriend gave their girlfriend a betta and she had mixed feelings bordering angry that her boyfriend said "I love you! Here is a responsibility." (not complaining at you!! I am just passing the info in case you missed that post.) :)

The cage you got sounds good. :) I would have tossed the water bottle too just because they are cheap enough there is no need to take a chance. The food dish could have been saved probably if it was in good condition. They can be sterilized and run through the dishwasher. If it was chewed up better to get a new one too. :)

BTW I love your betta in your avatar picture :) I kept meaning to tell you, just never really found the opportunity.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #13 
lvandert

Oh no thats alright. His only reason we don't have one yet is because we "dont have the room for one" lol When we moved, we moved into a bigger house. There's that extra space we needed. I did see the post and I'm not too concerned, he needs a pet that is his, and he knows it (but he thinks we don't have the room, giggle). I have my fish and bird, we share the snake but he doesn't have an animal to cuddle with (my bird cuddles with me lol). We've talked about getting one and the last time we talked about it he said "well maybe by the end of summer we'll have the space." once again giggle.
The food dish was a bit chewed as well :/ It looks like anything he could chew on he did, then again it was a wild bunny. Poor thing probably had anxiety issues. I'll hit up the local thrift stores for a pet dish made of metal or ceramic.
I got the new second level cut and drilled today. Tomorrow I'm sanding and attaching. I just used a hunk of plywood. I didn't want to use anything because, even though this bunny is going to have a plethora of chew blocks, he'll probably chew it up too...I hope to get a pic up tomorrow

BTW thanks for liking my avatar photo. Dizzy is such a weirdo at times lol
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #14 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I had a lop-eared bunny when I was in high school, I LOVED him. Good luck with this. :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #15 
lvandert

Ok I worked a TON on the cage today. I got the top level completed (sanded, edges rounded, attached to the cage, and covered/padded). I also finished the ramp, I couldn't get the grooves to work out right so I drilled a tone of divets in the ramp for the bunny to get purchase with his claws (like you can't go a square inch without finding at least two holes) I hope it'll work for his little paws. Ok so I SCORED at the local thrift store. I found a dark red velvet that almost matches the color of the plastic on the bottom (seemingly to be cut perfectly for the top) and a small roll of padding for a dollar each! So guess who got a velvet padded upstairs? This bunny. I also found a new food dish and a small stuffed rabbit to put in there for now. The first photo shows the size and colors of the cage. The second shows the padded top, ramp, food dish and stuffie. Sorry for the crappy quality but its my phone camera.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #16 
lvandert

Ok on a side note I went to my LPS and I just about caved. They had baby lop eared bunnies. They were so dang cute! all 3 wanted to be pet at once and were fighting to get in front of the door. I must of sat there for 15-30 minutes petting those little guys. I think I might be more excited about this than he is...wait he doesn't know lol. Of course I'm more excited!! I know about it! Ugg I'm going to burst with excitement. This summer better go fast.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #17 
Twilight Storm

I love what you've done with your bunny penthouse apartment! :D The dollar stores by me mostly carry junk. I used to live by really nice quality dollar stores. I miss them!

What kind of bird do you guys have? I have a budgie (Peanut) and a green wing macaw (Louise) i've grown up with birds they're great. I love snakes too. I was looking into a ball python, but I don't want to take the chance and end up with my dogs or birds eaten.

I can't wait to see pictures from the breeder :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #18 
lvandert

We have a cockatiel, she's 12 years now. Gosh I feel old... We also have a Corn snake. We've had him for a year and I'm assuming he was 6 months when I bought him.

I don't know if I'll get pics from the breeder. I guess I could ask of pics from her recent litters. From the sounds of it she might have a few to choose from when we go. Which is fine with me, then Joey gets to pick one out (which he wants to do).

I also kinda screwed up my left hand a bit lol. I think I popped my pinky out of socket and then back in (like the joint where it attaches to the hand). I caught it in between the wires and I heard a "pop". My friend helping me heard it too lol. I thought I just cracked a knuckle really god or something, but it started hurting really bad last night and this morning I can't move it at all without some form of pain. I'd go to the doctor but my family is really weird about those. I'd get yelled at for going before I gave it a shot at a home remedy. So its wrapped all to hell and I can only move my pinky at the middle joint and up. I can't move it much at all from the base of the hand. The muscle that runs down that side of the hand also feels torn or stretched.

Work may be a bit upset, I serve kids food. I can barley grip a coffee cup, how am I to grip a spoon or tongs? oh well I've worked with worse
Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #19 
lvandert

ugg we went to my LPS and spent an hour petting the lop eared bunnies. My bf was all over them and before long he had a pile of cuteness sleeping in their cage. I almost caved, I was so close!! lol I also told him "to heck with your other birthday gift, I'm getting you a rabbit." he was like "no, no we'll get one together. I can't make you pay for all of that. Maybe at the end of the summer we'll have the extra cash." giggle.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #20 
Laki

I'm as excited as you are for bunny!! :D Baby bunny pics!!

The wire bottom is a no-no. Remove is, cover it with newspaper, aspen, fleece but don't let him stay on the wire. Some people think it's okay but that's mostly breeders who need the economical benefit of the wire bottom for cleaning many bunnies. House bunnies don't need the grill to stand on and in fact they can warp their toes or get a nail stuck in it.
Anyway, what was the breed rabbit you guys are getting?? and how old is he going to be when you pick him up?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote