Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #31 
Laki

She's a breeder and her standards are different.
I would never use a grate bc I feel a bunny's home should be as comfortable as possible. I could never risk a broken nail either. I don't thin they're very necessary for a house bunny (let alone, ethical) But that's my opinion. Nobody involved with the rescue here condones wire grates either.
Breeders just use them because they need to clean up after many many bunnies. The poop falls in the grates and they make for easy quick cleanup. But I don't like them.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #32 
lvandert

Yeah, better safe than sorry. On a side note picked up some extra cash today. I sold my Wii and everything with it for 70 bucks. I'm hoping to sell my wii fit board for 20 or 30 bucks as well. I just wasn't playing it enough for me to validate having it. I play my xbox more often and I really don't need both. I'm going to go out and get some bedding and food tomorrow. Maybe more. We'll see what I have left. I do want to save some of that for ice cream :P
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #33 
lvandert

Oh! Whats the difference between Timothy hay and Alfalfa? I'm pre shopping online and there are a lot of timothy hays but not that many alfalfa hays? Should I get both?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #34 
lvandert

Oh and I just saw this on "Pet Keeping with Marc Morrone" He had a giant bed of that wheat grass for pets and his bunny is going to town on that thing. Would it be alright to get some as a good treat for the first few months?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #35 
Laki

lol I sold my sister's wii bundle for 225$!! It had the wii fit board and tonnes of games though. She moved and needed the cash.
Timothy is a stronger hay, more common and adults should eat it as the main type of grass hay. You can find other types of dried hays; botanical, oat, wheat, and some others. Sure, they're totally fine for bunny BUT as a compliment to the timothy. My bunny will devour a bag of oxbow botanical hay (it has flowers in it) in a week. She just loves it! It's a great way to encourage bunnies to eat their hay. So you can buy the wheat hay but mix it with the alfalfa.
Alfalfa hay is high in calcium and some fats. It is reccommended that baby bunnies and older-inactive bunnies eat it to grow and maintain weight. Adults should not be fed alfalfa, and likewise, babies should not be solely fed timothy. Timothy hay is for healthy adults, I don't know how else to describe it. It won't hurt a baby bunny but there's not enough fats and calcium for him to grow.
Alfalfa hay for an adult though, can cause excess calcium buildup which they cannot naturally eliminate and likely cause bladder sludge, which in turn, equals painful bladder stones.
So, hay is an integral part of their diet. Their diet should consist of 75% hays. You can mix them, make your own, add dried herbs, and all that to be creative and keep bunny interested. A lot of the time you'll see people just feed pellets because they think bunnies should eat a more "substantial" diet but this makes bunny fat and unhealthy. Some times if it seems my bunny is hanging out by her food dish waiting for pellets I'll simply add extra hay and keep her pellets for a while. Hay is #1 so for a baby bunny, you should feed alfalfa. :)
-edit- 75% hay is for an adult bunny, babies can have more pellets as long as he doesn't stop eating hay!

Last edited by Laki; 06-13-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #36 
lvandert

Ok so totally did some shopping today and got a bunch of stuff. The first pic shows what I got for the pet taxi -a small water bottle and ceramic food dish. It also shows the "kitten harness" I got on the stuffed bunny. I'm hoping its small enough. The second picture shows the bag of alfalfa, and bag of food (Timothy hay infused) and the bedding I grabbed. Also it shows the plastic food dish I got along with the large water bottle I have attached to the side. I did save my receipt in case something was amiss but I think I did ok.

edit: Also got rid of the grated bottom and thinking of cutting it up to turn into a third floor now that I have the extra space above the second
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #37 
lvandert

Here's the link to the food
http://www.petco.com/product/14643/K...bbit-Food.aspx

edit: after reading the reviews I'm thinking of returning this one for a different food. Off to read more reviews!

edit edit: *face palm* look what I just found http://www.petco.com/product/108410/...e-Rabbits.aspx

Last edited by lvandert; 06-13-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #38 
lvandert

Alright well a few things happened since last post. I went to my friends house to work on the cage when an ingenious idea hit me. Seeing how I'm not using the bottom grate I could use that to cover the wooden ramp I made. I'll get better traction and a chew determent. I made sure to bend down/over any little piece of metal sticking out so there are NO edges for him to catch himself on. The grate is bent over to fit over the top of the ramp and over each side and then enough onto the back to just hold it to the wood. It's the only piece of grating in the cage and because its on the ramp and its got wood directly under it, that it'll be ok right? I returned the old food and got the juvenile stuff, there was nothing but good reviews online.

On the suckier side of things the jig is up. Due to our car deciding to over heat I had to pick my BF up from class with bunny food in the back seat. I totally spaced it until he said something. We had already dealt with the over heating car and I was tired/frustrated so I told him "well, (insert naughty word). Surprise! your getting a bunny for your b-day." He was very excited about it and then realized we had to drive home with the heat on (its 87 degrees here today) just to keep the car from getting too hot. But now that we're home again he's kinda excited. He's asked me what all I've gotten so I told him what I've bought but he's NOT seeing any pictures of it all until he gets the bunny.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #39 
Laki

Hi!! Kitty harness should be fine, mini rexes are a plumper breed. Think Labrador retrievers and beagles (in dog comparison) so the harness should fit him nicely. The ceramic dish seems untippable so you're awesome there!
I had dragged up reviews of the food online before I saw you returned it. I don't see a need for the gimmicky extra bits of hay.. He should eat like 97% more hay than what that food offers!! lol I know you know that but some people might think that it has enough hay and not buy a separate bag :/ Anyway, the juvenile kind is good :) Try to compare it with this brand : http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/pro...il?object=1543 Oxbow is the best brand and I chose my brand based on its GA to this food. (Acacia doesn't really like Oxbow, so Martins has comparable quality) Kaytee is probably fine as long as it's got high fibre content and low sodium/fats/bad proteins. (*goes to find kaytee juvy food ga)
Your grate on wood idea is fantastic! It won't harm him (just keep his nails trimmed) and it will prolong the life of the wood shelf!! YAY. (Never thought of that earlier)
The Kaytee juvy food is a bit low in fibre, so make sure he eats tonnes and tonnes of hay and no treats!! (only hay based treats)
So he knows he's getting the bunny?? Shucks! Oh well. Now the stress can be shared between you two as you shop together!
One more note, The Carefresh is one of the best litters out there, however, in order to litter box train- he will need a dfferent substrate (if you will) in the litter pan so he can tell the difference. I use shredded newspaper but mini rexes have less hair on their hocks and consequently I ran into some infections. Yesterday's News is a good one but if you find something else make sure it won't impact if digested (corn, crystal, clay litters are a big no-no)

I'm getting excited!! When are you picking up the little baby?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #40 
lvandert

I saw some pellet form of bedding as well so I'll go check them out in a few weeks. We're not getting the little guy until early/mid August, lol although we're not far off from having everything we need. I'd rather be ready ahead of time because time is going to fly soon.

3 weeks until our week long fourth of July vacation, then just 4 weeks after that and we'll be visiting both of our parents (his are in Yankton SD and mine are in St. Paul MN). The breeder I've been in contact with is about an hour north of St. Paul MN so we're going to see my parents last (their also the farthest away). The day after we have him we'll drive back to Joey's folks in Yankton SD (about 6 1/2 hours), and then from Yankton SD to Rapid City SD the next day (about 6 hours). Overall the little guy will travel probably close to 700 miles in 3 days. A long way to go but it'll all be worth it.

Side note bought a burlap sack from a local fleet/farm store for a $1.50, will this work as a good temporary bedding in the traveling cage? I can go get more they have tons of them.