Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #21 
Bombalurina

No, it actually smells nice and musky. Think Doritos. I love the rat smell. :)

Some rats piddle everywhere, but mostly they only do it when they are nervous or excited. Richelieu does it on my dad a lot, but when they are running around in the kitchen they are pretty good about not marking.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #22 
wolfiegreen

I rather enjoy learning these things I'm reading lol
Posted via Mobile Device
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #23 
Pitluvs

I think all the uncomfortable feelings about the situation are all on the owner, not the rats ;) We tend to give our babies human emotion, when really they are animal driven by instinct. All you are doing is taking that instinct away, they won't be any different just less dominant. I wish we had the ability to neuter our boys, we have one that is dominant and won't tolerate our 2 young boys. So he's alone :( His brother passed around mid April.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #24 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
TheKinetic: over-reaction, much?

Olympia: it's not the dominance I'm worried about changing, more his naughtiness. I want him to still try and wrassle my hands and steal food from his cagemates (I steal it right back off him). I just don't want him to bully them or puff up and hiss at little Darcy.

Oh well, vet appointment in half an hour. I'll let you all know how it goes! Thanks for your support. :)
Well all I can say is both more neutered boys are still super naughty, stealign food, wrestling with each other and the girls. Good luck with the neuters : )
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #25 
shadowpony

You obviosly love your rats, and they (the ones in your avi) are super cute. I think they should be fine. As for the kinetic, I think they preformed a hit n' run.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #26 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfiegreen View Post
I rather enjoy learning these things I'm reading lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol. Thinking of joining the rat club? :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I think all the uncomfortable feelings about the situation are all on the owner, not the rats ;) We tend to give our babies human emotion, when really they are animal driven by instinct. All you are doing is taking that instinct away, they won't be any different just less dominant. I wish we had the ability to neuter our boys, we have one that is dominant and won't tolerate our 2 young boys. So he's alone :( His brother passed around mid April.
Poor boy. :( I thought that would have to Darcy's fate, at first. Luckily he was getting to accept Jekyll and Hyde even before the neuter, but it speeded the process along no end. Thank goodness for my vet. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderwolf View Post
Well all I can say is both more neutered boys are still super naughty, stealign food, wrestling with each other and the girls. Good luck with the neuters : )
That's a relief. I want Squish to still be naughty. :p He earned the name Pesticle the hard way and I want him to keep it. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpony View Post
You obviosly love your rats, and they (the ones in your avi) are super cute. I think they should be fine. As for the kinetic, I think they preformed a hit n' run.
Thanks! That's Richelieu and D'Artagnan when they were 6 weeks old - now they are just shy of two years and going to lose their manhood. :p I was looking at their baby photos the other day. They were so tiny! Now they are huge and fat.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #27 
Enkil

I have nearly always spayed/neutered my four legged pets. Exept when I had hamsters. XD
The only dog I had that I didn't neuter was my wolf hybrid. I believed the family I re-homed him to had him snipped.

I've never had a problem with any of them loosing their naughtiness. The marking and testosterone based aggression/dominance tend to stop though. My Fenris will be getting done soon. Besides, by having our pets fixed, it lessens the risk of cancer.

Hope everything goes well with your boys!
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #28 
registereduser

Neutering any pet is the most responsible, loving thing you can do for them.

I didn't realized rats could be fixed! I sometimes wish I could neuter a certain cockatoo.....
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #29 
Bombalurina

Well, the implants came in so it happened today! They are so funny when they are recovering from the anaesthetic. Willoughby lived up to his nickname of Wibbly-Wobbly, got very confused and tried to stagger off the vet bench. The other two just escaped into the carry cage and fell asleep.

I also got to meet my vet's new rat Kevin. He's tiny! :D He got neutered today too. :)
Old 06-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #30 
Enkil

Aww. I love that whole sleepy thing pets do afterwards. They're so cute.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote