Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #11 
JagWired

Just got him to eat a blood worm. You're right, he was just snoozing. xD Now he's zipping around the tank and watching me type. I have to say though... feeding him is going to become a bad habit. He's way too freaking cute.
JagWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Doesn't help they act like bottomless pits! My bf backed away from the microwave since LaLa, who is by the microwave freaked out because she thought he'd feed her.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #13 
IndeedPanda

Daily cleaning of a 1gal does not sterilize the water, really. It's still treated tap water, which has the minerals fish and plants need. All you're doing is removing waste, food particles, and ammonia. With a new fish from a place like Petsmart it's extremely important to keep the water clean. I lost two bettas because I only changed their water twice a week. You never know. I've never lost one to daily changing so long as you put a good amount of time to do it so the fish can adapt gradually.

The point about the heat lamp is a good one. What is the temperature in your house? if it's high seventies your fish will be okay, but he'll heal up best if the water is warm. When you get a new tank, go for a long or wide tank rather than a deep one.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

My 1 gallons are cleaned every other day... No problems. Only time you really need to do a 100% daily is for sick, rotting, injured, and ill fish, ad if the tank is smaller than 1 gallon Which if it is, you really should have 1+ gallons..
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #15 
SweetNightmare

Oh, he's beautiful! I got a rescue older betta from work(not too older, but he'd seen too betta shipments without anyone buying him) who was a rather dull light blue, but now he has the most beautiful sky blue with white "clouds" in his fins!

Ditto on a heater as soon as you can afford one. I use 50 watts in all my tanks, simply because it's convenient and they do a great job. 2.5 rectangles at petsmart or co just run about twelve bucks, so look into at least upgrading to that!
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #16 
JagWired

Until I can upgrade his tank and heat situation, I've managed to up the heat in my room by quite a bit. As for the Petco/Petsmart suggestion, I'll keep that in mind. Especially seeing as the 1 gal has spontaneously decided to slowly leak on my desk.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

well gee! Definitely set a course to the petsmart area :p Or second hand store. Never know. :p
Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #18 
JagWired

Looking on Craigslist for a tank right now. Just so it's a little more understandable, I have about thirteen dollars in spending cash at the moment.

That being said, he's taken to sitting on top of the filter output (I've got it turned off for the time being), and occasionally venturing out to float at the top of the water. I'm worried again. Just changed his water out, he doesn't look bloated, he's eating when he's fed (he's rather picky though), and judging by the amount of excrement I just cleaned out, he's not constipated.

On the other hand, his poop is stringy, his fins are still clamped, I just saw him cough up digested food recently (no, not spit out - more like spit up) and he's becoming increasingly lethargic. Would it be advisable to run to the store tomorrow morning and pick up something for internal parasites?

Also, my room is staying in a temperature range of seventy-five to eighty degrees (I closed everything up and insulated it a little bit), he's still in a 1 gallon tank, and he still has a heat lamp. I'm assuming his lethargy is not related to temperatures. I'm learning as I go here, so my apologies for the barrage of questions. :(

EDIT** I forgot to add, he also will sporadically dart through the tank.

Last edited by JagWired; 05-29-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #19 
teeneythebetta

I'd post this in Betta fish emergencies, many people there know about this kind of stuff and should give you a quick response. Good luck.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #20 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Great to hear you will be upgrading! Might I suggest a 5 gal tank? IMO I don't keep fish in anything under 5 gal. But when I first got my Betta, I got a plastic 2.5 gal tank for $25. All it had was a light.

3 weeks later, I upgraded and bought a 10 gal starter kit with a filter & hood for $30. All I needed was the heater but I got 5 times the tank for $5 more. xD walmart has a 5 gal starter kit too.
That's wonderful for you, but not possible for everyone. If I kept ten gallons I would be limited to giving one fish a good life, as opposed so 4 in 2.5-3 gallons each.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote